Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 16, 19, 03:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104627
  • Total Topics: 11600
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 167
  • (Mar 31, 19, 11:42 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14

Themes

Author Topic: Bigotry & ignorance still rules in USA  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
Bigotry & ignorance still rules in USA
« on: Mar 05, 10, 01:10 PM »
The shop teacher at Guthrie Center High School in Iowa believes he was wrongly suspended from his job last month. The superintendent of the tiny school district disciplined Dale Halferty, the school’s shop teacher for the last three years, for refusing to allow one of his students to build a Wiccan altar as a class project.

But Halferty believes his own Christian belief system will be violated if he is forced to allow the unnamed student to construct an altar for a religion Halferty believes is "wrong and bad for youth."

"Personally, I think it is offensive to worship rocks and trees," he told The Des Moines Register. "I am just trying to be moral. I don’t know how we can profess to be Christians and let this go on."

Though Halferty feels his own religious beliefs are being violated, Principal Garold Thomas likens Halferty’s refusal to that of a biology teacher who won’t teach evolution

During Halferty’s suspension, at least 70 Guthrie Center High students signed a petition stating they did not want witchcraft practiced in their school, but as Wicca is a religion based on reverence for the Earth, perhaps a bit of instruction about just what exactly Wicca represents would be beneficial.

http://www.care2.com/causes/education/blog/teacher-violates-religious-freedom-of-a-student-witch/

Offline Lyn

• Live for today,tomorrow I will be on another planet !
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Eee by GUM!
Re: Bigotry & ignorance still rules in USA
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 10, 01:24 PM »
I'm still wondering about what  a 'shop teacher' is.I thought the majority of the early immigrants to USA went to avoid religious persecution.
                       "its very heavy for its size Langston. I was surprised !" "I dont mind having a used one!"

"It took a while for me to get it up,but just as I was going to cancel it started."

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 10, 02:54 PM »
shop teacher in USA means woodwork/metalwork (workshop) etc teacher
The religious "christian" right in USA are as  bigoted & close minded, if not more so,  than the hard core muslim fanatic. in fact there is very little difference between them. They all think their particular brand of  "religion" is the only religion allowed to be practiced or even exist and everybody else should be burned at the stake

richard

« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 10, 03:19 PM »
America has turned into pretty much exactly what the Pilgrim Fathers fled from.

They've kicked their own heritage in the face and I hope tbey're proud of what they've achieved.  :yuck: