Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 16, 19, 03:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104627
  • Total Topics: 11600
  • Online Today: 26
  • Online Ever: 167
  • (Mar 31, 19, 11:42 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11

Themes

Author Topic: Quiet Innit?  (Read 8352 times)

Offline Ray

• The Thread Killer
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 5
  • DILLIGAF
    • Ray Doyle Promotions
Quiet Innit?
« on: Apr 15, 10, 11:11 AM »
A bit quiet in here today is it not? Where's Richard gone?

You don't let him have a holiday do you?

:think:
Cheers Ray
www.RayDoyle.com
I used to use clich�s all the time, now I avoid them like the plague, these days a clich� to me, is like a red rag to a bull.
"I'm an idiot, I've just realised"..."I don't think"....outrageously quoted out of context.

Offline MaWibbley

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 0
Re: Quiet Innit?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 10, 11:38 AM »
We're used to him rabbiting on aren't we! He can't have a holiday, we need him to keep us going.  :)

Offline Babs

• Landlord
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 10, 03:16 PM »
We've been out in the garden this morning doing some weeding and edging.

He's been fed now and is waiting for his new computer to arrive...    :yup:
"Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!"

- Irving Berlin

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 10, 03:19 PM »
If it were me, I would be champing at the bit, looking out the window at the sound of a vehicle, and frubbocking (a lot) if it wasn't bringing my new computer.... ;D

Yep, tis a bit quiet  :)
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Babs

• Landlord
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 10, 03:24 PM »
If it were me, I would be champing at the bit, looking out the window at the sound of a vehicle, and frubbocking (a lot) if it wasn't bringing my new computer.... ;D

:gig:  He is a bit on edge... and trying not to show it.
"Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!"

- Irving Berlin

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 10, 04:13 PM »
Perhaps it is on the one the planes that can't take off or land  due to the iceland volcano ash cloud over the uk  :angel3:

Offline Ray

• The Thread Killer
  • Barfly
  • DILLIGAF
    • Ray Doyle Promotions
« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 10, 04:16 PM »
Perhaps it is on the one the planes that can't take off or land  due to the iceland volcano ash cloud over the uk  :angel3:

That's getting a bit worrying, I am flying ( I hope ) in October, last time this volcano erupted it was for over a year.......................................... :-\
Cheers Ray
www.RayDoyle.com
I used to use clich�s all the time, now I avoid them like the plague, these days a clich� to me, is like a red rag to a bull.
"I'm an idiot, I've just realised"..."I don't think"....outrageously quoted out of context.

richard

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 10, 07:25 PM »
I'm back...  :angel2:

Offline MaWibbley

• Barfly
« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 10, 07:39 PM »
I'm back...  :angel2:

watch it.... the enforced peace is over  >:D

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 10, 07:55 PM »
That's getting a bit worrying, I am flying ( I hope ) in October, last time this volcano erupted it was for over a year.......................................... :-\

Bit worrying for me too...........my nipper and his wife return from their Europe trip on Saturday....flying back from Rome at around 17:15hrs to Heathrow.
We did have a chuckle before they went about things getting screwed up on their way out of the country, now they might be a bit worried about the return.
They are supposed to be back at work on Monday, so things could get a little difficult if Iceland chucks more soot and crap our way... :)
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
    • Myonlinesecurity
« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 10, 08:00 PM »
They might well end up coming back on Eurostar instead

Most of Europe will have no flights until at least Friday PM & probbakly longer, French airspace is now closed as well

Offline Storm

• Barfly
« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 10, 12:09 PM »
As far as I'm aware Nats (air traffic control) has extended the restrictions until at least 1pm on Sunday.

That was certainly the case, as of last night, where East Midlands is concerned (I know somebody who works there).
The winds of night so softly are sighing
Soon they will fly your troubles to sea.

richard

« Reply #12 on: Apr 17, 10, 01:39 PM »
The police helicopter was in the air over Bristol for about an hour yesterday lunchtime, but even that hasn't been seen since.

It's blissfully quiet - the aircraft in an out of Bristol normally turn over Keynsham so it's rare to see less than at least 3 or 4 planes at once from about 6am until 11pm.

Offline Lil_NZ

• Barfly
« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 10, 08:18 PM »
It's blissfully quiet
That was something that occurred to me - it must be eerily quiet over Heathrow, etc.
My (BA pilot) brother's stranded in Bucharest  until further notice. Must be an absolute nightmare for thousands of people.

richard

« Reply #14 on: Apr 17, 10, 08:36 PM »

My (BA pilot) brother's stranded in Bucharest  until further notice.

Much better stranded than strewn all over the side of a mountain... even the smallest avoidable risk isn't worth it.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #15 on: Apr 18, 10, 08:30 AM »
My nipper and his wife are stranded in Rome, and working to find their way out across country to a coast to try and catch a ferry to England.
Communication from them is a bit sparse.
He did phone and say "Dad, remember you said if we were ever stuck you would nip over and give us a lift in the car ?"..........."Ummm, yes.....where abouts are you ?" Thinking they had got back to the UK and were sort of stranded somewhere.
"In Rome !" says he.............."Aaaaahhh" says I.
Must have a word with son No.2 when he gets back about his sense of humour  ;D

richard

« Reply #16 on: Apr 18, 10, 08:34 AM »
My nipper and his wife are stranded in Rome, and working to find their way out across country to a coast to try and catch a ferry to England.

Eurostar are putting on several extra trains a day too, but are warning people not to turn up without a booking - if he's got the means to get across to France that might be a possibility - assuming he can call ahead and book a place.

I can't imagine there'll be many bargains to be found, as the world runs around in a blind panic.  ::)

I suppose another alternative would be to claim asylum in Italy...  >:D

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #17 on: Apr 20, 10, 07:34 AM »
Well they safely arrived homed last night.
They went from Rome to Marseilles and then across to L'Harve and managed to get on a ferry to Pompey and thence by FastCat to Ryde pier head arriving around 22:45hrs.
They have had quite an adventure, albeit expensive with all the extra costs of cross country through France.
We tried booking a ferry for them via DL ferries, but most web sites we tried either were shut or not taking internet bookings............twas a case of 'first come first served' and they got lucky.

The holiday in theory was UK to Copenhagen-Berlin-Prague-Budapest-Vienna and last stop Rome and then a BA flight to Heathrow, and coach to Pompey, but didn't quite work out that way  ;D
 It was all planned and various Hotels booked via internet before they went, with places of interest to visit in each place....saves time wondering where we go next.....with 2-3 days in each place.

But, they should have been back Saturday pm, and safely made it Monday pm........a bit knackered and worse off in the pocket  ;D
They are hoping they may be able to claim something back as they were fully insured, but we will have to wait and see.
Happy days.

Offline fido

• Barking Mad
  • Barfly
  • what's that in the fan?
« Reply #18 on: Apr 20, 10, 07:43 AM »
Well they safely arrived homed last night.

They are hoping they may be able to claim something back as they were fully insured, but we will have to wait and see.
Happy days.

I hope they have luck with the insurance as most of the companies are rolling out the old "act of God" chestnut.
The wife has me in the doghouse so often, I've decided to decorate it.

richard

« Reply #19 on: Apr 20, 10, 08:36 AM »
I hope they have luck with the insurance as most of the companies are rolling out the old "act of God" chestnut.

Then 'God' needs some breath-mints...  :yuck:

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
    • Myonlinesecurity
« Reply #20 on: Apr 20, 10, 09:25 AM »
Headline 9am first flights in UK airspace

I hope we don't see this headline, but unfortunately I am sure we will

Headline 5pm. Jumbo jet loses power & crashes over north sea after flyinmg through ash plume, 600 peopel dead, Airline industry in chaos

It really looks like the tail is wagging teh dog on this one & the airline industry are making so much fuiss about losing money & no regard is being made about safety

Only yesterday a NATO jet suffered engine damage after flying near the ash cloud

Offline Storm

• Barfly
« Reply #21 on: Apr 20, 10, 01:43 PM »
All flights are still cancelled at East Midlands.

I doubt those that are running now from other airports will fly through the ash; they know exactly where it is.
The winds of night so softly are sighing
Soon they will fly your troubles to sea.

Offline MaWibbley

• Barfly
« Reply #22 on: Apr 20, 10, 02:31 PM »
Glad to hear your family are back ok Baron:flowers:

Offline Majid Din

• Regular
    • www.chelseafc.com
« Reply #23 on: Apr 20, 10, 04:11 PM »
I doubt those that are running now from other airports will fly through the ash; they know exactly where it is.

Thats my thinking too.

The general rule of thumb would be , if the pilot is up for it then trust their judgement call.

I hasten to add i have no immediate plans to fly at the moment  :blush:

richard

« Reply #24 on: Apr 20, 10, 04:30 PM »

The general rule of thumb would be , if the pilot is up for it then trust their judgement call.

I've just seem my first contrail for days... a single solitary plane looking very lonely up there.

I reckon, once the people who need to get home have done so, the world is a nicer place without aircraft.

All we need now is something similar that stops all the road traffic dead too... people would need to make a few changes to their unsustainable lifestyles, it would soon put a stop to city living when the food supply dried up, but eventually we'd end up better off. :)
* Richard sits back and waits to be char-grilled.