Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 16, 19, 04:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104627
  • Total Topics: 11600
  • Online Today: 26
  • Online Ever: 167
  • (Mar 31, 19, 11:42 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10

Themes

Author Topic: Britain and Snow  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Babs

• Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 5
Britain and Snow
« on: Nov 26, 10, 06:21 PM »
What is it with this country... a few inches of snow and everything comes to a halt!

They should send a study group to Canada and learn how to deal with the snow.

Life goes on... snow or no snow. We used to walk to school and it didn't close when it snowed, either.    :toff:
"Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!"

- Irving Berlin

Offline fred

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 5
    • cymrogwyllt
Re: Britain and Snow
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 10, 07:12 PM »
I suspect a combination of factors.

We don't get enough snow for drivers to gain experience and learn to drive in it.
Idiot drivers making no allowances for the conditions. 
Winter tyres are not normally used here for several reasons.
Our snow tends to be a wet, slushy snow rather than the powder snow found in colder climes.

As for the school thing very few pupils walk to schools these days, most staff live outside the catchment area of the school.  (Back in the early '80's I was quite friendly with a fellow female member of staff.  We both lived within 100m of the wrokplace, in fact we each had a flat in the same building.  It was a pain in the posterior having to leave the catchment area to go out for a walk or meal without getting seen or served by a pupil.  Pupil speculation and rumour can be very nasty.   I remember one day with deep snow and the four of us who managed to get in on time had about 100 pupils each until the rest of the staff stragled in.  Pupils walked in as it was a town school.

Elf and safety is a major factor as well. God help the school if a pupil slips and gets hurt on the snow/ice.  First post of call for the parents is the ambulance chasers touting for trade. As for percieved snowball injuries....
I jumped into a river in France and it turned out I was in Seine

O'r holl gerbydau'r Byd a gāf
Yr elor yw yr olaf

Offline Storm

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 10, 10:46 PM »
What is it with this country... a few inches of snow and everything comes to a halt!

They should send a study group to Canada and learn how to deal with the snow.

Life goes on... snow or no snow. We used to walk to school and it didn't close when it snowed, either.    :toff:

I can recall walking to school when it snowed on many occasions and I don't recall it ever shutting because of it.

But even back then we'd have more winters without much snow than winters with deep snow. And when it does arrive, it doesn't usually stick around very long. Snow in the South of England is even rarer. Could the same be said of some regions of Canada? Of course those areas of Canada where deep snow is a regular occurrence deal with it better. They're used to it.
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 10, 11:01 PM by Storm »
The winds of night so softly are sighing
Soon they will fly your troubles to sea.

Offline Brains

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 0
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 10, 06:08 AM »
School rarely closed for snow when I was there - it would close when the heating or boiler packed in but I used to love going to school in the snow as it was always quieter as the out of towners would have been snowed in  :-\
Nowadays I cant stand the snow as it hates me and my lungs hate it :(
Am dreading driving in it as have only driven in snow a few times and got no idea how Brum-brum will fair in snow :(
I have to much to do till at least the 20th Dec so I cant stop for the snow yet :o
Will be hiding away as soon as I can :)
Brains aka Donna xXx

Checkout my crafting blog: http://smileycrafter.blogspot.com/

Offline Razor

• Our-Local Pot Washer
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 8
  • Like my arse?
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 10, 08:00 AM »

Because we are not Canadian eh!  :bolt:

richard

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 10, 10:14 AM »

Am dreading driving in it as have only driven in snow a few times and got no idea how Brum-brum will fair in snow :(

Suggestion - have a word with your old instructor about a winter-driving masterclass, in a similar manner to the way you approached motorway driving?

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 10, 05:13 PM »
We used to get almighty snow falls over here in the 50's and 60's with many country roads blocked with snow and villages cut off..............but as it was just winter doing its thing everyone got on with it, and it hung about for a week or so.
My school didn't shut and as far as I am aware neither did any others.
Us school kids got to school and walked the distance if the buses couldn't make it...............quite a few miles too.
But then we weren't a nation of whingers back then if the weather was a bit rough, but my Dad used to curse a bit because he couldn't drive his Austin 7 up the hill from Bonchurch beach where we lived because of the snow...........so he walked to work, again some miles away................he was probably a bit late, but he turned in anyway.

Very rarely get much snow over here, and if like last winter we did get a fair amount with the Island grinding to a halt, it was all over in about a week..............a lot of the trouble was because the Council did get out and grit the main roads which got compacted into ice.

Maybe we will cop some more this year, but since I don't have to go out in it, I just don't care........... ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.