Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 13, 19, 08:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104655
  • Total Topics: 11602
  • Online Today: 130
  • Online Ever: 181
  • (Nov 04, 19, 10:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17

Themes

Author Topic: Broken By Design  (Read 1466 times)

richard

Broken By Design
« on: Jan 16, 11, 09:45 AM »
Well, after offering the option of 'Google Instant' for a few months, they've finally taken the plunge and forced it upon power-users who don't want it by removing the 'search within' functionality at the bottom of the results page.

Power-users are going apeshit about it in their forum, but the official line is that 'instant' will give you the same results if you keep adding words... this is simply not true - it only searches within the top few results and misses potentially useful hits further down the list.

I can see why they've done it - it reduces server-load while vastly increasing the value of the top few adwords - but by doing so it also increases the rewards for SEO outfits who game the ranking algorithm so the quality of searches is likely to suffer, and obscures a lot of stuff that used to be easy to find.

Unless you're willing to be led by the nose to the top ten or so hits, the only way Google continues to be any use is by avoiding the front page and going directly to 'Advanced Search'... I wonder how long it will be before that's withdrawn too when they realise power-users are going to that as their first port of call rather than only when 'search within' contained too much dross?

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
Re: Broken By Design
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 11, 11:54 AM »
you could Bing instead of Google

richard

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 11, 11:59 AM »
you could Bing instead of Google

I could - but that doesn't have 'search within' either... the bit Google have broken was the specific reason I always preferred them over Bing.  :toff:

Offline fairyhedgehog

• Hedgehog in Residence
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 0
    • fairyhedgehog
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 11, 03:11 PM »
I'm not sure what I'm missing here. Google is definitely giving less good search results than it used to but I'm not sure how the search within works or how it helps.

Offline Langston

• I am the only person in the world who is exactly the same as everybody else.
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • 鶏が道路を渡ったのはなぜでしょう
    • Clangston at DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 11, 04:41 PM »
I've been using 'Advanced Search' for years. Never much liked the other one. But they have already started stripping stuff out of AS. Results per page has been disabled. (It's still there, but non-selectable.)
It isn't as good as it was, but good enough for now.