Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 13, 18, 04:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104111
  • Total Topics: 11535
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (Oct 30, 18, 08:49 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8
Total: 8

Themes

Author Topic: A gem of a game  (Read 4927 times)

Offline fairyhedgehog

• Hedgehog in Residence
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 0
    • fairyhedgehog
A gem of a game
« on: Jun 07, 12, 11:04 AM »
A Grain of Truth is a really lovely point and click game to play in your browser. (But not in Internet Explorer. You need Firefox or Chrome or probably anything that isn't IE.)

The controls are straightforward, and if you click on the eye at the top it shows all the hot spots on each screen so you don't have to pixel-hunt.

Travel is easy by use of the map where you can immediately access any location that you've visited.

The pleasant music is set by default to "off" so you don't deafen everyone around you when you first go to the game; if only all websites were that considerate!

The puzzles are tricky but not impossible and I was never left wondering what to do for very long. Except at the very end! But I did complete it, so it can't be that hard.

Play it here

richard

Re: A gem of a game
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 12, 11:16 AM »
Works for me in FF or Chrome, and Opera if I spoof either of those... they've blocked it otherwise.

It's rather good - I love the fantasy graphics  :yup:

Offline fairyhedgehog

• Hedgehog in Residence
  • Barfly
    • fairyhedgehog
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 12, 11:18 AM »
It's rather good - I love the fantasy graphics  :yup:

It's a very pretty, sweet little game, I thought.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 12, 09:12 AM »
It looks fun.........but it is discriminating against IE users...........me !.  ;D
Yes, I am a leper... :o ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline fairyhedgehog

• Hedgehog in Residence
  • Barfly
    • fairyhedgehog
« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 12, 09:16 AM »
It looks fun.........but it is discriminating against IE users...........me !.  ;D
Yes, I am a leper... :o ;D

Just download Chrome or Firefox! It's so easy peasy to do and it's worth it.

richard

« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 12, 09:29 AM »

It's not - IE isn't near finished yet, so it doesn't yet support the web-standards the game relies upon... that's not the choice of the game-designer...

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 12, 10:54 AM »
It's not - IE isn't near finished yet, so it doesn't yet support the web-standards the game relies upon... that's not the choice of the game-designer...

That is because the web standards aren't finalised yet

Chrome/firefox & Opera are all utilising web features that are not set in sttone & change from week to week. That is why FF & chrome have monthly, if not weekly updates to a new version with new functiosn built in. And is alos why both of those browsers have so many crashes and unwanted effects

Yes it is great to have extra web features but they need to be standardised & settle  down a bit.
It isn't just IE that won't play the game, it is older versions of FF before about 10 that won't play it and many companies won't allow the most recent versions of any browser becasue they need time to check & make sure that current applications will still work in it.

As soon as you introduce new features & standards & deprecate or remove old features, then  existing websites fail to work or display correctly & even worse "in house" programs that rely on a browser won't work & some of those cost millions of pounds & can't be easily upgraded 

richard

« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 12, 11:57 AM »

It isn't just IE that won't play the game, it is older versions of FF before about 10 that won't play it

I wouldn't expect them to - FF is on 13.01 now, so that's like expecting IE6 to do the same things IE9 can... as you say, things have moved on somewhat, and they continue to do so.

As the web becomes more and more semantic standards are going to need to evolve a damn sight faster, because W3C are moving like a salty slug.