Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 13, 18, 04:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104111
  • Total Topics: 11535
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (Oct 30, 18, 08:49 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11

Themes

Author Topic: It took 74 years...  (Read 6871 times)

Offline Langston

• I am the only person in the world who is exactly the same as everybody else.
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • 鶏が道路を渡ったのはなぜでしょう
    • Clangston at DeviantArt
It took 74 years...
« on: Jul 06, 12, 07:45 PM »
... but at last we have a Briton in the Men's final at Wimbledon. Whether he wins the final or not, Andy Murray deserves our gratitude, though he probably won't get it.

Guardian report

:flowers:

richard

Re: It took 74 years...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 12, 08:32 AM »
The usual form is along the lines of, if he wins he's a British Hero. If he doesn't he's just another Scottish wanker.

Personally I don't really care who wins as long as we see a game good enough to entertain non tennis-fans like myself... the semi yesterday was actually pretty good viewing.  :yup:

Offline crikey

• junk male
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 18
  • Not far to go, now
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 12, 08:07 PM »
Murray's thunder might yet be stolen. We have a Brit (Marray) and a Dane (Nielson) playing in the final of the men's doubles, and currently leading 2 sets to 1, and 2-2 in the fourth. Given that they only got into Wimbledon on a wild-card, that ain't bad. Even better, should they lose, they'll still each pick up 65,000 - double that if they win. So far this year, Marray's winnings are about 20,000. Nice little earner, eh?
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

richard

« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 12, 08:33 PM »

Given that they only got into Wimbledon on a wild-card, that ain't bad.

Somebody obviously made a very good choice of wildcard.  :yup:

Offline crikey

• junk male
  • Barfly
  • Not far to go, now
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 12, 08:42 PM »
Gone to a final set .....nerves playing up, I imagine. And they did have chances during the tie-break.

richard

« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 12, 09:26 PM »
Gone to a final set .....nerves playing up, I imagine. And they did have chances during the tie-break.

That was the right result in the end - games like that are good for the game as a whole... just right to get people out playing grass-roots club tennis.

Offline Langston

• I am the only person in the world who is exactly the same as everybody else.
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • 鶏が道路を渡ったのはなぜでしょう
    • Clangston at DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 12, 10:26 PM »
Murray's thunder might yet be stolen. We have a Brit (Marray) and a Dane (Nielson) playing in the final of the men's doubles, and currently leading 2 sets to 1, and 2-2 in the fourth. Given that they only got into Wimbledon on a wild-card, that ain't bad. Even better, should they lose, they'll still each pick up 65,000 - double that if they win. So far this year, Marray's winnings are about 20,000. Nice little earner, eh?
Not really, given that, as far as the press goes, the doubles just don't count. Check out the coverage in Sunday's papers and see who gets the headlines. It's a bit unfair, but nothing new.

Offline crikey

• junk male
  • Barfly
  • Not far to go, now
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 12, 10:43 PM »
Oh, I don't know. If Murray wins, it'll probably be something on the lines of "double glory for the Brits". OTOH, if he loses, I'd suspect Marray's success would be yet another excuse for some of the press to have a dig at Andy. It's Marray's partner Nielsen I feel sorry for - in our press, he'll just be the guy who happened to partner the heroic Brit.  >:(