Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 20, 19, 01:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104639
  • Total Topics: 11600
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 181
  • (Nov 04, 19, 10:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 13
Total: 13

Themes

Author Topic: Fekkin' thing!  (Read 3401 times)

richard

Fekkin' thing!
« on: Apr 17, 13, 09:01 AM »
You know it's not going to be a good day when you PC refuses to complete the boot sequence until you physically kick the damn thing...  :pa

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Re: Fekkin' thing!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 13, 09:38 AM »
I fell your pain... ;D
Luckily for me, my 'old girl' is still going strong without me resorting to bad languge and physical violence upon it, considering 'she' is knocking on a bit now.
She will be 5 years old come November, but not entirely original since the PSU and the graphics cards have been replace, but otherwise....
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

richard

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 13, 08:03 PM »
But I might *enjoy* bad language and physical violence...

The old crate has stopped and started without drama twice since then - maybe it just needed reminding who's boss?  :axe:

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 13, 11:45 PM »
Blame the Gremlins,   :pa
Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 13, 11:35 AM »
But I might *enjoy* bad language and physical violence...

Ah yes, sometimes it seems to work wonders for your blood pressure, but I have found that chucking the PC out of the window, or kicking it across the floor, never seems to provide a fix.........in fact, it rather un-fixes it quite badly.  ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

richard

« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 13, 01:12 PM »
Well, so far today it's locked up on me 7 times today... total freeze, with no response from mouse or keyboard so the only way out is a hard reset.

It doesn't appear to be in a loop as there's no HD activity, and windows recovers gracefully after the reset... it's all looking rather mobo.

Next question, I suppose is about windows licensing... if I replace the mobo but keep everything else is my license still valid? I'd hope so, because it's a repair not a new machine...

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 13, 01:24 PM »
I think you should be ok, either by using the free telephone service to fill in the keys via the phone and then the keyboard, or, wait and get hold of an MS operator to explain the position. They know motherboards can die, and more than likely will validate your PC again.

I have seen this problem and question quite a few times on various forums I visit now and again.

Do you have a PSU you could swap, just in case yours in on the blink ?
Just a thought if you are trouble shooting.

I do realise though that you have probably forgotten more than I will ever know about PC's and their innards or OS's, so just offering a suggestion or two.

Maybe take out the memory sticks and reseat them, 'cos as you know they can creep in their sockets causing weird happenings..
Also, you can tell me to shut up too....... ;D :hat3:

richard

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 13, 03:03 PM »
I'm reasonably confident the PSU itself is ok, as the display is completely unaffected other than being frozen - that can't happen without both rails working ok. At no point is there any flicker, it just stops dead.

While I was in the process of moving stuff out to external drives so it's safer, I discovered that one which normally runs as usb2 was very slow, it's dropping down to usb1.1
While it's in that state, anything else that uses any significant extra bandwidth very soon brings about a lockup... which makes it look like an IO issue on the mobo.

If the mobo can't move anything that would explain the freezing up.

I've already been in there and reseated the memory sticks, video-card, and all connectors to the mobo... so far so good, but the frustration of an intermittent fault is you can never know for sure you've cured it... it might just be waiting to mock you the next time you're in a hurry.  :pa

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 13, 04:47 PM »
Sorry to harp on about PSU's but I have encountered some weird problems in the past (having got through quite a few of them  ;D) and they can cause faults which ordinarily isn't considered to be a PSU problem.
So maybe to humour me rather than come round to my place in the early hours to knock some sense into me, I just wondered if it might be worth a try, just to rule out that it is not the culprit.

PSU's used to be my favourite subject, but not needed to worry about problems for a couple of years now............but, I would not be surprised my my little bugger will play tricks on me in the future, and luckily I have a spare which will easily cope with my PC should I need it as a replacement.
 It is usually my first suspect if it is not a problem I can fault with some other part........ :bolt: :hide:

richard

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 13, 06:01 PM »

So maybe to humour me rather than come round to my place in the early hours to knock some sense into me, I just wondered if it might be worth a try, just to rule out that it is not the culprit.

It's not quite that simple... as the problem is so intermittent (it's been fine since lunchtime now) it could take days before it shows again, then a cluster of hiccups, then nothing again for days.

As we're not in the habit of breaking things, the only other suitable PSU I have in the house is the one powering Babs' machine, and I'm not that brave :hide:

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #10 on: Apr 18, 13, 06:33 PM »
It's not quite that simple... as the problem is so intermittent (it's been fine since lunchtime now) it could take days before it shows again, then a cluster of hiccups, then nothing again for days.

As we're not in the habit of breaking things, the only other suitable PSU I have in the house is the one powering Babs' machine, and I'm not that brave :hide:

Yes, that would probably not be a wise move to remove hers for a bit, as I doubt it would be fun living in a dog house for some weeks.  ;D
Pity that, as a replacement would decide if the symptoms appeared again, or not.

Hope it behaves, and keep a hammer nearby in full view of your PC and see if that helps.. ;D

richard

« Reply #11 on: Apr 18, 13, 07:15 PM »

keep a hammer nearby in full view of your PC and see if that helps.. ;D

I've been letting it watch me eyeing up potential replacements  :nnc:

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 13, 11:54 AM »
I've been letting it watch me eyeing up potential replacements  :nnc:

Ahah...sneaky... ;D