Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 16, 19, 03:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104627
  • Total Topics: 11600
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 167
  • (Mar 31, 19, 11:42 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 16
Total: 16

Themes

Author Topic: F*** the Fabian Society  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 50
  • Kissy kissy...
F*** the Fabian Society
« on: Apr 22, 13, 06:24 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22220345

This would only make it better to not save and plan but spend and sponge off the state.

FFS let peeps get some advantage for being responsible !!!!
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Langston

• I am the only person in the world who is exactly the same as everybody else.
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • 鶏が道路を渡ったのはなぜでしょう
    • Clangston at DeviantArt
Re: F*** the Fabian Society
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 13, 06:35 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22220345

This would only make it better to not save and plan but spend and sponge off the state.

FFS let peeps get some advantage for being responsible !!!!

Bullshit.
Why should rich pensioners pay less tax than rich non-pensioners?

Offline Babs

• Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 5
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 13, 06:46 PM »
Fabian? 

"Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!"

- Irving Berlin

richard

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 13, 09:30 PM »
Bullshit.
Why should rich pensioners pay less tax than rich non-pensioners?

None rich pensioners pay no tax at all - how do you pay less than that?

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 13, 09:26 AM »
I am definitely not left wing or in any way a supporter of the Fabian society, but I do have to agree with them on this
It is unfair that any group in society, are given extra financial benefit, solely based on age. Based on need, Yes! based on age only, No!
An additional tax allowance for being 65/66/67 or whatever age they decide is retirement age is unjustified.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 13, 02:28 PM »
None rich pensioners pay no tax at all - how do you pay less than that?

I do as I have a small RAF pension monthly on top of my weekly SP, so I lose some 48/month out of it.
Also, as my wife's SP is added in to my weekly 'earning' then I get only a small allowance of Housing and Council tax.

Sometimes I think I would be better off with no RAFP, and no increases in the SP's because then our earnings are higher and therefore have to contribute more to rent and council tax, so we again hardly anything out of it.
Never mind that food, diesel, gas, electric etc. go up all the time.

But, I am not really sure that the really well off Pensioners should pay more as they can afford it, as they have worked, saved, and put into Pension pots just for the time for when they retire, and want to enjoy what life they have left.
But I do think that they should not qualify for the annual cold weather payments which should be set by an income rate yet to be decided. Means tested yes, but then I am means tested to see what housing and council tax benefit I should receive.......if any.
Those below Pension age may well think that us OAP's are mostly living the high life, but come your turn........will you have saved or put into a Pension plan for your retirement only to find that it is not quite as much money as you planned for, or will you just live off your SP because your working life has been in jobs that are not that well paid, but you have paid into the system, but not enough left over to save for the future ?.

I know what life is like because I am at that point, but just wait until it is your time any you may think differently.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 50
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 13, 07:38 PM »
I see that a possible outcome of the Fabian view point is to abolish the State Pension or not pay it to peeps receiving a private pension.

"All policies that appear to give special advantages to older people as a category should be reviewed," it says.

What other age related benefits could also be taken away? Would you like to be expected to look for a job, if you didn't have a job, in your 60's, lose the right to a free Bus passes, lose free dental check-ups, lose your winter fuel payment, lose your pension credit, lose your savings credit, lose free prescriptions?

All because you are OLD ...

"It can be difficult for older people to change their financial plans as their options are likely to be very limited. They have also contributed national insurance payments throughout their working lives to receive in return a state pension that ensures a financial safety net but little more."

Other categories will still benefit from some of the above, but the OLD would be excluded.

Where would be the incentive to be prudent and save for your retirement? Nowhere! It would encourage peeps to spend it now and enjoy it because tomorrow 1) I may be dead or 2) If I haven't been prudent I can claim benefits.

A Treasury spokesperson said the government was committed to ensuring that older people are able to live with the dignity and respect they deserve and the basic state pension is the foundation of state support for older people.

Can we believe this or should we take it as its word and that is there will only be a basic state pension, the rest we will charge for.
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 13, 07:56 PM »
You get free dental treatment on the NHS if you are on Pension Credit.
 Once you hit 65 and get your SP then that perk stops, as I have to pay the 17 once a year for my check up, and if any work needs to be done, I have to pay for like anyone else. Luckily I have not needed any for many years.

I do have a buss pass and use it now and again in the summer.......just hop on a bus and go places for a day, just for fun.  ;D

Yes, I do get free prescriptions, which is just as well with all the repeats for diabetes tablets and statins, otherwise I would not be taking them at 7 quid or so a time.

Yes, my wife and I get the winter fuel allowance of 100 each in December, which I must admit does come in handy for gas and electric during the winter, and especially over Christmas to keep the house warm for visitors.
It's very handy since as I don't work, I cannot put in any overtime to help pay for it.

My private RAFP is some 260/month and I lose some 48/month and I couldn't live on that.

I have done my 48 years of work and paying NI and taxes, which is longer than some here have been alive, and all I want is to get a reasonable amount of money per week/month to live on, but I am still being taxed.  So I feel I can complain about things as I am still a tax payer, helping to pay for a lot of useless sponging immigrants, chavs with no intention of ever working, and muslim trouble makers who work the Courts just so they can stay here and spend my sodding money on their useless lives, who pull in more money for doing sod all than I do.

No, I don't get enough to buy and run a Bugatti Veyron either.... ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.