Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 16, 19, 03:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104627
  • Total Topics: 11600
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 167
  • (Mar 31, 19, 11:42 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 15
Total: 15

Themes

Author Topic: British Library's wi-fi service blocks 'violent' Hamlet  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23680689   

If it blocks Hamlet for being too violent, then I wonder what it will do with Enid Blyton's Noddy stories. Probably  send the police around to arrest the user for looking at violent racism

Shows the stupidity of many internet filters 

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Re: British Library's wi-fi service blocks 'violent' Hamlet
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 13, 10:41 AM »
I think there has been a few examples in the media about filtering out words that on their own are deemed naughty etc. but in context are absolutely innocent.

Like for example, 'Dick Hammond' where the 'dick' would be seen as offensive and obliterated by ***** or something.

Daft I call it.  ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline croissant.neuf

• LOADD sufferer
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 0
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 13, 03:56 PM »
In the very early days of the data transfer, direct mail files used to be transferred overnight. We sent out a mailing list for the AA where the system apparently treated each address as a distinct unit. Much to everybody's confusion the file that was received was shorter by about 10%. After much to-ing and fro-ing somebody did an audit and found out the the missing files were all addresses in Essex and Sussex. The system filter struck. I managed to ruin a colleague's computer (with coffee splatter) with my comment to the client that we shouldn't expect much response from Scunthorpe. Aaah, happy days.
MY PICTURES

My hobby is collecting empty bottles, which sounds so much better than alcoholic

richard

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 13, 06:16 PM »
In the early days of Facebook, any of my namesakes that preferred to be known as 'Dick' were out of luck, as although there's no filter on the content at the time there was an automatic filter on 'inappropriate' user-names.

Happy days...

Offline fairyhedgehog

• Hedgehog in Residence
  • Barfly
    • fairyhedgehog
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 13, 08:02 PM »
I managed to ruin a colleague's computer (with coffee splatter) with my comment to the client that we shouldn't expect much response from Scunthorpe.

It took me a moment.  rofl

Offline croissant.neuf

• LOADD sufferer
  • Barfly
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 13, 08:56 AM »
Hi there, good to hear from you. It's been a long time, n'est-ce pas? [I practice bad French on locals too :)]

Struck me I have never carried an image of you that would get that reference. Which is a further example of that great maxim "We don't see things as they are ... we see things as WE are.

Much love, M

MY PICTURES

My hobby is collecting empty bottles, which sounds so much better than alcoholic