Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 21, 19, 10:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104610
  • Total Topics: 11595
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 167
  • (Mar 31, 19, 11:42 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14

Themes

Author Topic: Killing The Goose ...  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 50
  • Kissy kissy...
Killing The Goose ...
« on: Oct 28, 13, 06:28 PM »
I (sort of) want to watch something on 4OD. However before I can even get to the program I have to endure several minutes of ADVERTS.  :toff: :toff: :toff: :toff: :toff: :toff:

I may give up and go to bed ...
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
Re: Killing The Goose ...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 13, 06:41 PM »
After some cretinous verbal bollocks and some more adverts I said this isn't worth it.
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 13, 06:42 PM »
Now watching QI XL on i-player  :)

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 13, 07:11 PM »
Which is the reason I now just watch films or TV shows on my N7 tablet (or iPlayer on my PC during the day) whilst warm and comfy in bed, as I detest adverts and rarely watch TV at all these days.

I think it was because on a show I used to watch on Freeview (I think they are the worst for adverts, which I suppose supports 'Freeview') a while back, there were 13 bloody adverts, I know, because I counted the barstewards, but then discovered the joys of freedom on my little tablet.

I do have a guilty secret though, in that I rather enjoy a dose of a 'soap' for half an hour with only about 3 minutes of adverts half way through. Oh, its 'Home and Away', I don't know why, but I got hooked on it.  :blush:
I think my TV will probably last forever with the amount of use it has had for the last year and onwards... ;D

Watching stuff on a 7" screen is something I have used to, and the price to pay for avoiding bloody adverts..........ok, something might be preceded by a 5 second advert, but I can (just about) live with that interruption of my viewing.  ;D

OK, I do miss out on a few favourites on ITV, one of which is 'Doc Martin', but hopefully the new series might appear on YT which is where I am usually lurking.  ;D

Oh, what is 40D ?

P.S. I just like to end my evening with my 'name' at the end of the first three sections, which usually kills off any further posts.  ;D :hat3:
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 13, 07:19 PM »
Channel 4 On Demand

I've also had the misfortune to try to watch ITV-Player and given up for the same reason. Yes I watch quite a lot on i-player; for two main reasons

1) The programs are better
2) There are no adverts.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 13, 07:43 PM »
Agreed, and also YT, so I am virtually advert free in my viewing. Yippeee.... :hat3: ;D

I do have an app for ITV player on my N7, but not used it yet, and probably won't now since it will be nothing but adverts with a bit of a programme in between.

Ha, now my name is the last poster again..... :gig:
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

richard

« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 13, 08:16 PM »

Ha, now my name is the last poster again..... :gig:

Not for long  :neener:

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 13, 01:23 PM »
But, I reclaim my crown..... :gig: :neener:

Offline Casper the Ghost

• I wonder what this button does . . . . .
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Livin on the Dark Side
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 13, 11:10 PM »
That is the beauty of Freeview Plus - my box can wind either forward or backwards at up to 64 speed so adverts just whiz by. Sky Plus lets you wind at 30 speed so again adverts just whiz past.
But the best thing with Sky Plus is that if you watch something using their On Demand service on the iPlayer you don't get any adverts. Coronation Street for example comes to the end of the first part and then just goes directly to the next part - no adverts which is kind of what you would expect otherwise the advertisers would get multiple showings at all different times to that which they actually paid for.
When I go visit my other half who doesn't have any non-live telly it is quite a novelty to see what adverts are on - even if I do try and wind them on through force of habit!! :)
Now what should I put here?? Let me have a think.....

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 13, 08:04 AM »
We don't watch enough live TV to warrant any type of box and I wouldn't have Sky if they paid me.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 13, 11:22 AM »
I do have the basic TV as part of my cable package, but for some time now the only half hour programme I watch 'live' is my guilty secret of 'Home and Away'.

Any other viewing is on my tablet for TV shows and films.