Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 14, 19, 02:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104622
  • Total Topics: 11597
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 167
  • (Mar 31, 19, 11:42 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 15
Total: 15

Themes

Author Topic: Targeted Advertising  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 50
  • Kissy kissy...
Targeted Advertising
« on: Nov 04, 13, 06:25 PM »
 :toff: :toff: :toff: :toff: :toff:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24803378

Why the fuck should the norm be 'We can bombard you with anything we want'? Shouldn't it be one of our human rights to make our own decisions based on our own personal preferences.

Where or how can we opt out of such 'intrusive' invasion of my personal space.  :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut:

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
Re: Targeted Advertising
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 13, 06:40 PM »
simple
stay at home!

I wouldn't use Tesco anyway

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 13, 07:47 PM »
I use Tesco for some items and diesel, but if they think that I will be alert enough to notice the bloody adverts, then they have another think coming.  ;D

Adverts are the bane of my life these days, but at least at home I am just about advert free.  ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 13, 08:15 PM »
Wear a bhurka so they can't tell whether you are male or female

But it isn't quite as intrusive as the BBC & Daily Fail are making out
What is going to happen ( or already does with this system) is that the face recognition system works out whether you are male or female in the queue & a rough age breakdown. That information then goes back to the ad agency using the screen who decide which ads to run at the time of day that the demographics say is best suited. So for example, they will display ads that sell crisps & sweets etc at 8am to 9am when lots of school kids go in there. Then at end of school run time, perhaps ads for womens magazines and at 6 pm a high energy drink for theose on the way home from work & stuck in traffic. They aren't actually individually targeted or instantly display ad A for a 50 year old man, Ad B for a 25 year old female or Ad C for a 65 year old female or at least they can't at this moment in time.

However, I wouldn't put it beyond Tesco or any other supermarket to display individually tailored adverts  on screens at the checkouts based on your "loyalty card" being scanned or more likely interrogated via RF chip so you don't have a choice about them using your previous purchases as an advert choice, without you even taking the card out of your pocket.

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 13, 06:54 AM »
Advertising is already more intrusive than I want it, I don't seem to be able to walk round a large shop wiyhout passing a screen vomiting out a smiley sickly voice about some rubbish they want me to buy. I'm more likely to smash them than buy the crap they are advertising. It isn't much of a leap for these to start to be selective with either gender/age recognition then more specific scanning or as Derek suggested scanning for loyalty cards and using that info.

The BBC article shows Tesco taking these annoying advertising screens out onto the forcourt, if they do it so will other supermarkets.

CUE PETROL PRICE RANT   :toff: :toff: :toff:
If I buy my petrol near St Clears on the A40 (no filling stations in St Clears) I will pay circa 5p per lt more than at Tesco or Morrisons in Carmarthen. Whilst I am working part time I can get my petrol another 4 or so p cheaper in Cwmbran at Morrisons or Sainsburys. If I don't use supermakets for petrol I could be paying up to 10p a litre more for peace and quiet.

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

richard

« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 13, 09:33 AM »

Shouldn't it be one of our human rights to make our own decisions based on our own personal preferences.

You *can* make your own decision - you either buy or you don't.

If as a result of their fiddling they sell less rather than more they'll soon stop doing it...

richard

« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 13, 09:35 AM »

If I don't use supermakets for petrol I could be paying up to 10p a litre more for peace and quiet.

Good.

It's not reasonable to expect the conveniences of 'civilisation' when you choose to move away from it... that's right up there with moving into a rural village and expecting cow-shit not to smell.

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 13, 01:12 PM »
Good.

It's not reasonable to expect the conveniences of 'civilisation' when you choose to move away from it... that's right up there with moving into a rural village and expecting cow-shit not to smell.

I don't expect the conveniences of civilisatation, but I do see a lot of petrol tankers heading east from the refinery when I'm on the A40/A48/M4, which is major highway for traffic to and from Ireland.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 13, 04:18 PM »
But there again, in our Newport Post Office or whatever it is these days, there are screens displaying video adverts for various products whilst waiting in the queue.
I might look at the screen as a small diversion from standing in the queue, but with most things I see/hear, it goes in one earhole and out the other, and I eventually come out without the urge to rush off and buy whatever prodicts were being flogged. Probably because I can't remember what they were.  ;D

Still I think quite a few of the screens are littering up other stores with videos encouraging us to buy products, and apart from seeing they are there, I don't really take much notice of them.

I suppose it is just a way of life, but I just tend to ignore them, and carry on hunting down the products I went in there to buy.

I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

richard

« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 13, 05:55 PM »

I suppose it is just a way of life, but I just tend to ignore them, and carry on hunting down the products I went in there to buy.

You and me both  :yup:

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 13, 06:11 PM »
 :hat3: 8)

Offline fairyhedgehog

• Hedgehog in Residence
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 0
    • fairyhedgehog
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 13, 01:50 PM »
Why the fuck should the norm be 'We can bombard you with anything we want'?

I'm with you on this.

Plus I'm pretty sure that seeing the same ad again and again even if we think we've tuned it out makes us more likely to buy the product. There's a lot of evidence that things motivate us even when we're not aware that they do.

I hope they see my short hair and flat (for a woman) chest and peg me as a man. That'll stuff up their statistics.

Offline Babs

• Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 5
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 13, 08:18 AM »

I hope they see my short hair and flat (for a woman) chest and peg me as a man. That'll stuff up their statistics.

I doubt that will happen FH... but you made me smile.   :)
"Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!"

- Irving Berlin

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 13, 12:01 PM »
I'm with you on this.

Plus I'm pretty sure that seeing the same ad again and again even if we think we've tuned it out makes us more likely to buy the product. There's a lot of evidence that things motivate us even when we're not aware that they do.

Perhaps when the camera sees my manboobs, and wishful thinking long hair, I could be pegged as a woman.  :blush:

After all, when I joined the RAF and had a medical, the Doc's didn't know whether to class me as a male or female...., so I could have ended up in the WRAF's.  :blush:

Offline fairyhedgehog

• Hedgehog in Residence
  • Barfly
    • fairyhedgehog
« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 13, 07:48 PM »
I doubt that will happen FH... but you made me smile.   :)

:)

Offline fairyhedgehog

• Hedgehog in Residence
  • Barfly
    • fairyhedgehog
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 13, 07:49 PM »
Perhaps when the camera sees my manboobs, and wishful thinking long hair, I could be pegged as a woman.  :blush:

After all, when I joined the RAF and had a medical, the Doc's didn't know whether to class me as a male or female...., so I could have ended up in the WRAF's.  :blush:

So if we went shopping together they'd have us down as one of each - although which of us is which they'd be hard to tell!

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #16 on: Nov 10, 13, 07:57 PM »
So if we went shopping together they'd have us down as one of each - although which of us is which they'd be hard to tell!

Yep, that could be fun...I need to go shopping for a new bra, that ok with you ?.  :blush: :gig: