Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 12, 18, 11:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104111
  • Total Topics: 11535
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (Oct 30, 18, 08:49 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14

Themes

Author Topic: Type 2 diabetes research study....  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Type 2 diabetes research study....
« on: Nov 10, 13, 03:14 PM »
To help save the world I am taking part in a clinical Type 2 diabetes study at my local St. Marys Hospital since Aug. 5th.

This is being done under 'Vectasearch' which is under the 'Bristol-Myers Squibb' empire who provide the tablets.

When sent a letter from my Doc's Surgery asking if I would like to take part, I thought 'Why not ?' since I have nothing better to do, and, I get a free Taxi to the Clinic at the Hospital and back home again.  ;D

The first visit was just (after fasting overnight and arriving around 09:00) the Doc. taking an arm full of blood in about 8 tubes, a quick medical, weight and height measured, and producing a urine sample, blood pressure taken, and questions about the med's I am taking, which are: 1 x soluble Asprin, 1 x fish oil capsule with brekky, 1 x Saxgliptin around Noon, and 2 x slow release Metformin with evening meal.

Then I was given toast and marmalade and tea/coffee, which lasted about an hour or so, which I was glad of since I was feeling a little pekish by then.  ;D  My Limo was called to take me home.
 I was also supplied with a Glucose meter, 2 pots of testing strips, and the lance thingy with a supply of lance 'pods' to prick a finger.
It's an 'Accu-Chek meter and 'Multiclix' needle gun.....as I call it.

I was also supplied with the BMS supplies of Metformin (2 with brekky and 2 with evening meal) and Saxagliptin (normal time), so have returned the unused supplies I got on prescription back to Boots.
No change to the soluble Asprin or fish oil capsules, so carry on as normal.
(My Doc. is quite pleased as she says that it reduces her drugs budget a bit... ;D)

The same tests done in September and October.

As I have passed the initial testing, I am now on the next stage which meant the usual fasting overnight, bringing in the usual 'pee-pot', my diary, showing tab's taken and glucose readings.

Then I had an ECG, which proved I was still alive, another quick medical, blood pressure and weight taken. Then I had to drink this high glucose bottle of a chocolate drink (made by Nestle) which was rather nice..........I was supposed to have drunk the contents over 10 minutes.................but being me, I scoffed the lot in a couple of minutes....hey ho.  :beer1:  ;D

Then they took a load of blood samples at: 30 min's, then 30 min's, then 60 min's, then 30 min's, and the final after another 30 min's, and another blood pressure reading.
It was easier to fit a Temporary cannula into a vein on the back of my hand and strapped down with medical masking tape to take the regular blood samples over the 3 hour period...........mind you, the vacuum blood sample taking thingies sometimes did not fit tight enough, so my extremely valuable blood escaped all over my hand............rather interesting to watch though as the Doctor had to press firmly on the vein to cut off the blood so that he could shove it in a bit firmer.  ;D

Finally this testing finished at around 12.30 pm and I was then allowed my toast and marmalade plus a mug of coffee, which was rather welcome after some 14 hours fasting for so with nothing but water.

I was then issued with a new Diary, and supplies of Metformin, Saxagliptin and Dapagliflozin/placebo, testing stips and the needle 'pods' containing 6 needles.

Only BMS I believe knows whether it is the real drug or a placebo, so my Clinic doesn't know either.

Luckily this won't happen again until next year sometime, so the next tests will just be urine, blood, weight and blood pressure tests, and toast and Marmite (sometimes for a change), tea/coffee, and then the Taxi home.

Well boys and girls, I just though you would like to know that I am doing this for all those with T2 diabetes, and taking this new drug (if it is the real one) means that I can get genital infections (or dick-rot as I would call it), urinary infections, possible kidney damage, back pain, and a few other symptoms..........but heck, I probably have all those things anyway, so I doubt I will notice much difference.. ;D

Someone has to do it, and since I am just a lazy good for nothing old git, I might as well have a bash at it... ;D :wave1:

Now to go and make my mug of coffee, since the kettle must have boiled ages ago, which means turning it back on using more electrickery... :o ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

richard

Re: Type 2 diabetes research study....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 13, 05:20 PM »
Thank you - just in case one day I need it!  :yup:

Offline Babs

• Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 5
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 13, 05:28 PM »
Very interesting, Baron.    :yup:
"Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!"

- Irving Berlin

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 13, 07:07 PM »
following on from this have a read of
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/10/30/oreos-fructose-consumption.aspx

and watch this rather interesting video

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 13, 07:33 PM »
Yep it is a long term study, but I have sod all else to do...mostly.  ;D

The Clinic is a very cosy place and informal, which was a relief, as not knowing what would happen on my first visit, I thought I would be spending hours sitting about somewhere in the main Hospital building.

There are two Doctors involved (not always at the same time) and two middle aged Nurses, and I get spoilt rotten as they fuss about like a couple of mother hens.  ;D
Usually I am the only one there on the day, so I guess the others in the Programme come in on different days.

Once the tests are over and I can eat and drink, one will come over to me every 5 minutes or so to ask if I would like any more toast or tea/coffee......great stuff.  :hat3:
 On the big test the other day, one asked if I would like a newspaper to read during the 3 hour testing, wouldn't take no for an answer and promptly nipped out to buy one.............she told me not to worry about paying for it, as it would be covered by their budget.  ;D
It was handy as I meant to bring a book with me, but did manage to bring my N7 with a couple of puzzle games put on it, so I had a fair bit of entertainment whilst the Doc. nicked my blood at intervals.

They asked if I was ok with the cannula stuck into the back of my hand, and said I was fine, but the only thing I did fancy was a ciggie.... ;D
Although the whole of the Hospital grounds are 'non-smoking' ppfffttt....the Doc. although willing to let me nip outside for one (the little Clinic is sort of hidden away amongst the old Hospital buildings) but didn't think it wise with the 'stop cock' mounted on my hand.....hey ho, nearly got a quick puff.  :s:

It's a bit of fun and I could be asked to leave because of my medical condition at the time precludes me from carrying on in the study, or, us Guinea Pigs are free to leave the programme at any time we feel like it.....but I won't, being a bit stubborn, so I will have to be asked to leave.  ;D

Unfortunately Diabetes 1 or 2 seems to be on the increase these days, so hopefully people in these programmes trialling new drugs will help....well, me and thousands of others.
I didn't know I had it until the routine HbA1c test a few years ago, and my Quack told me I had it......bugger.  ;D
I still don't realise I have this disease, as I don't seem to display the usual symptoms.

At least they don't nag me to quit smoking, which is the usual answer to any illness, and since I have been puffing away for about 57 years now (68 in December) but I figure that my mileage is running out anyway, so sod it.  :s: :s: ;D

Mind you, I do have narrowed arteries in both calves, with the right one able to seize up a bit more than the left, it does rather put the kybosh on going for good long walks, at least, not at the speed I would like to go.
I had great plans to do a lot of walking about over here when I retired which was Oct. 2009, but this blasted affliction in both calves has sorted of buggered that up which started the year before..... ::)

Still apart from that, I don't really have a great deal to feel sorry about, lots of people younger than me are far worse off....
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 13, 07:53 PM »
Ah young Derek, you posted the same time as I did.....but thanks for the video and link.  :hat3:

These days I do try to avoid too much sugar in any form, but thinking about it now, I am not doing a very good job.  ;D
But, I don't buy biscuits or sweets or cans/bottles of fizz, and the desire is there if I spot a can of Ginger Beer....my favourite.  :beer1: ;D
I take one spoonful of sugar in my coffee, but not in tea.

Now and again I might buy a pack of 5 x 2 bar KitKats if on offer....like a 1 in Iceland, and try to eke them out over 2-3 days, but it is difficult sometimes.  ;D
I tend to eat more fruit these days, bananas, Kiwi fruit mostly, and strawberries if the price is decent.

So I am consciously trying to control my intake of cake, biscuits and Walkers cheese and onion crisps, but occasionally I give in to temptation, and then get a touch of the 'guilts' after I have scoffed the lot.  :blush:

So I am a little more aware of what I scoff, and the diet is a bit limited due to the wife having gall bladder problems and stuff, as she is on a gluten free diet, and the milk, cheese, bread and biscuits and stuff is bloody expensive !  :o

But, a bloke has to do what a bloke has to do to keep a reasonably peaceful life indoors and an overdraft at the Bank for them to make some money on....so I support her, and Lloyds Bank too.... ;D

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 13, 08:01 PM »
It is the hidden sugars that are the most dangerous & you don't realise how much you are taking in

Most of us realise that cakes, biscuits, chocolate, colas, etc are full of sugar and do try to cut down, but we don't realise that the hotdogs or bacon or tin of peas or beans are laden with added sugar. And we definitely don't expect tomato soup or sauce to be high in added sugars.

one of the worse culprits is buying economy frozen chicken which has lots of sugar & water injected into it to bulk it up so you only get about 80% chicken and the rest is sugar & water & other unwanted preservatives.
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 13, 08:03 PM by Derek »

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 13, 08:16 PM »
It is the hidden sugars that are the most dangerous & you don't realise how much you are taking in

Most of us realise that cakes, biscuits, chocolate, colas, etc are full of sugar and do try to cut down, but we don't realise that the hotdogs or bacon or tin of peas or beans are laden with added sugar. And we definitely don't expect tomato soup or sauce to be high in added sugars.

These days I would suspect all of those things to contain 'sugars' (and salt) because they make the stuff taste nice, but I tend to get a bit geeky and check the labels on some foods  ;D

I do have a bottle of Fruity Sauce' that I use now and again, our peas and packs of mixed veg (cauliflower heads, carrots and broccoli) are the frozen sort, but I do use Tesco's cheapo tins of baked beans, as I reckon they are just as tasty as the posher makes.  ;D

But, beans I use perhaps once or twice a month.
I don't use much soup, but may have a bowl now and again during the winter.
Bread is the wholemeal type or variations of it, and don't use white bread any more, much as I like it.
Bacon I get from our local Farm Shop, so it is pretty much unadulterated and tastes much better. Expensive, so I don't buy it too often, but it makes a nice treat now and again for bacon and (properly fresh) eggs at the weekend. :hungry1:
Sausages too I buy from the Farm Shop, or from the stall on a Saturday morning outside the Coop if I happen to go there, which isn't often.

I do try to be a bit more choosy over what I eat, but if some things are wrong, then I think 'Sod it' and treat myself now and again.  ;D

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 13, 09:19 AM »
You're doing a great service Baron, :tup:
Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 13, 12:12 PM »
Cheers... :hat3: :flowers:....It seemed interesting so I though I would have a bash at it.

I should have learnt my lesson from my RAF days, i.e. 'Never volounteer for anything.'  ;D

I think the Taxi meter reads about 16.50 (it starts with 3.00 on the clock before I have even set off) from where I live to the Hospital Clinic !!.

So, getting a bus would be too much of a hassle, even if I could use my old gits free bus pass.

If I drove there, it would cost a small fortune in parking fees, being as I can never be sure how long I will be in the Clinic.

Being a bit selfish, I would not have joined the programme had it not been for the free Taxi service door to door, so that clinched it for me.  :blush: