Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 21, 19, 11:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104610
  • Total Topics: 11595
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 167
  • (Mar 31, 19, 11:42 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14

Themes

Author Topic: email saying IMPORTANT Complete blood count result pretending to come from NICE  (Read 2193 times)

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
This email saying IMPORTANT Complete blood count result pretending to come from NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) has to be the most vicious and evil attempt by any malware purveyor to try to infect a victim.  Sending an email saying that you probably have cancer will alarm & distress so many people and is just the most offensive and disgusting attempt to trick a user into opening a malware attachment.

http://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/important-complete-blood-count-result-fake-pdf-malware/

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Poor spelling of 'white' as 'wite' would make me suspicious for a start, along with the wording which doesn't seem very professional to me.

If I got one, not knowing about the scam, I would have though 'bollox' and deleted it.

I don't download any (supposed) .pdf files, unless I have specifically gone to a site where I need it.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
    • Myonlinesecurity
Poor spelling of 'white' as 'wite' would make me suspicious for a start, along with the wording which doesn't seem very professional to me.

If I got one, not knowing about the scam, I would have though 'bollox' and deleted it.

I don't download any (supposed) .pdf files, unless I have specifically gone to a site where I need it.

But you have a slight, tiny, eeny-meeny element of common sense. Partially because we have drummed it into you with the incessant postings about malware and scams here.

This email is designed to panic a recipient and open the attachment without thinking so they will be infected
just look at some of the comments on the blog

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
But you have a slight, tiny, eeny-meeny element of common sense. Partially because we have drummed it into you with the incessant postings about malware and scams here.

This email is designed to panic a recipient and open the attachment without thinking so they will be infected
just look at some of the comments on the blog

So true, as I am very cynical about any email I suspect, or an out of the blue phone call.

But, so many others fall for this sort of thing, where they think they have won a lottery, or eleventy zillion pounds waiting for them in a bank, and all they have to do is hand over their bank details to collect it.

These morons make a nice living out of the thousands of people who often think what they see is real, whereas these days there are so many stories about people being pulled into scams and losing money, I would have thought that everyone would be a little bit more cautious now.

You see stories of women chatting and emailing some bloke online and he needs some money for something........his leg is falling off, or his mother is dying of cancer etc....and they eventually meet up with him telling her he is rich as buggery, but just needs some money to tide him over until he can access his massive funds.
Too many women fall for that wheeze, and then find they are thousands of quid out of pocket when he scarpers.

I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
Well none of our medical bodies have our email address & we are informed by mail of any results,  ::)
Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
    • Myonlinesecurity
some of the comments on sites like http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2580538/Cancer-scare-hoax-email-claiming-Important-blood-analysis-result-leaves-thousands-healthy-people-panic.html  are just beyond belief.
Yes a lot of people would realise that this was a hoax or scam and wouldn't be enticed into opening the email or the attachment, BUT with all the changes to the NHS in UK and the way that suddenly Doctors, Hospitals and Dentists etc are sending reminders or confirmations about appointments by email or text messages, couple that with the new NHS data online services where all your medical records are shared with "other medical bodies" it is then completely believable that N I C E could be responding to your blood tests.  OK if you hadn't recently had a blood test ( and recently means 3-6 months in NHS terms for analysis and backup checks.) then it is unlikely that anybody would be contacting you. But also take into consideration the numerous occasions where months or even years later, smear tests, breast scans and X-rays etc have been re-examined and problems found.

Please folks have some considerations for  victims and they all are not stupid. Many people are waiting for blood test results every day and are very worried about the possible outcome. Many practices nowadays do use text messaging and email to contact patients and a lot more will do so over then next few months and years, because of costs and phone bills.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
For any medical results I have had, they are either by letter from the hospital or my surgery.

I have an annual Hba1c test with or course the results going to my quack, and I either hear nothing or get a phoned request from the surgery that my quack wants a word with me.  :o

Anything other than that, I would regard as suspicious.
Plus as far as I know, my email address is not on file anywhere in the medical world, but even it is (given on a form in the long distant past) and got an email, I would phone my surgery to get advice.

But surely people awaiting the results of blood test etc. would know how they are informed about the results, and some email out of the blue would ring some bells ? If the blood count was that bad, then surely those results would be passed to their GP or the hospital where the tests were done ?

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
    • Myonlinesecurity
My surgery is just starting to use online prescription ordering & then they send the prescription to the chemist via an online method. As far as I can understand I will get an email confirming the order & one from the chemist when the prescription is ready to pick up.

I don't know all the ins & outs of it yet, but I understand that it is all held on a 3rd party website and they do all the technical gubbins, a bit like  a big ebay or amazon for the NHS

Lots of "sellers" ie doctors go on there & you order form their shop aka the online surgery. Then the dispatch is done by the courier company aka the chemist.

In exactly the same way that ebay or amazon send you emails every step of the way, this service will also

The next stage will be reports, xrays and blood test results via email and even online videophone consultations.

Already my hospital consultant(s) ( or rather his secretary) will send me scanned copies of xrays, other test  & results by email when I ask them to. They arrive as zip   files and either contain a word doc or an image file

Yes I am expecting them, but I never know what email address they will be sent from as sometimes they get sent form the hospital email something@nhs.uk  and other times they come from  the  private clinic email which can be a .co.uk email or .com email because all the consultants do private as well as NHS work.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
I used to take my repeat prescription into Boots to collect from there, but it didn't get processed until the next day, and was four days before I could collect my med's. So, I take it in on a Monday, but the stuff would not be ready until Friday, and on occasions they said they would fax it through to make it quicker and to come back on a certain day to collect, but the stuff was not usually ready, so I had to go back the next day.

Like you, there are various ways of getting repeats of med's, but in the end it is much quicker for me to drop the script into my surgery, which is then ready to collect two days later...i.e. in on Monday, ready to collect on Wednesday, which I then take to Boots for them to fill the order. If I have stuffed up, and run out of something quicker than I thought, then the girls in reception will push it through so that I can collect the next day.

The girls there are always very pleasant, have a sense of humour, and are very nice to deal with, which is why I always take in a tin or two of choc's at Christmas (to add to their pile) to say thanks.

How things will progress in the future I don't know, but for now I am happy with my current arrangements.

Anyway, I probably won't be around annoying people when that time comes.... ;D