Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 18, 19, 02:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104639
  • Total Topics: 11600
  • Online Today: 16
  • Online Ever: 181
  • (Nov 04, 19, 10:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10

Themes

Author Topic: A little rantlette - illustrated  (Read 3823 times)

richard

A little rantlette - illustrated
« on: Mar 19, 14, 07:15 PM »
Because some people need a fucking good shoeing - and in this case, there's quite a queue of people volunteering to do it.

http://richthelandlord.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/an-expensive-lesson-on-correct-use-of.html

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Re: A little rantlette - illustrated
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 14, 07:46 PM »
Ah yes, I saw the headlines of a story and a picture in the Daily Mail, but didn't actually read how those morons make such a balls up of travelling through the locks.

Probably alcohol involved.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

richard

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 14, 08:24 PM »
Ah yes, I saw the headlines of a story and a picture in the Daily Mail, but didn't actually read how those morons make such a balls up of travelling through the locks.

Probably alcohol involved.

Local rumour - unsubstantiated, it must be said - suggests it was somebody's stag do...

And it gets worse... the towpath isn't strong enough to support cranes big enough to lift the boat, so we have a bit of a problem  :think:

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Experts-unsure-remove-capsized-boat-Kennet-Avon/story-20828450-detail/story.html

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 14, 12:36 PM »
That does create a bit of a problem.

In my world I would just suggest blowing the thing up, but I guess it would not do the walls of the lock much good.

I wonder what has happened to the knob-ends who caused this sinking, is it too much to hope for that they are locked up somewhere ?
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

richard

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 14, 02:37 PM »
That does create a bit of a problem.

In my world I would just suggest blowing the thing up, but I guess it would not do the walls of the lock much good.

I wonder what has happened to the knob-ends who caused this sinking, is it too much to hope for that they are locked up somewhere ?

It's a steel hull, so it may end up going under the torch.
A complicating issue with calling for a bit of bang is that it's barely 25 yards from somebody's house.

Whatever they decide to do, I bet the air is becoming rather blue around there by now  :eek2:

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 14, 07:47 PM »
I wonder what reception the numpty twats who caused this fiasco would get if they turned up to see how things were going ?

I would pay money to see that little meeting.  ;D

richard

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 14, 05:06 AM »
I wonder what reception the numpty twats who caused this fiasco would get if they turned up to see how things were going ?

I would pay money to see that little meeting.  ;D

I suspect quite a few people would enjoy that - not the least myself.

When I was a kid I lived in a village with a couple of deep locks, and often spent a summer afternoon helping the lock-keeper, and had to prevent quite a few similar incidents - alongside the other perennial favourite, tying the boat while it's in the lock so when the water vanishes from under it the boat is left suspended by your ropes... I've pounced on more than one rope with a sheath-knife to prevent a capsize...

Of course now you're not allowed to carry a proper knife, there's be fuck-all anybody could do - but that's a different rant ;-)

richard

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 14, 09:42 AM »
Rescue complete!

They managed to drag it off the cill with a winch and straddle-hoist, re-floating it once it was upright was pretty straightforward.

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Narrow-boat-finally-rescued-Kennet-Avon-Canal/story-20832322-detail/story.html

All they need to do now it give the canal time to recover it's depth so folk don't run aground and it's ready to re-open.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 14, 07:09 PM »
Very interesting story now, and glad that someone's bright ideas have turned up trumps, and problem solved.

Will people learn ? I doubt it.

Talking of sheath knives, we used to have them as nippers. Just cheapo ones with pretend bone handle grips on the handle, but really just plastic that came loose after a while.
We used to wear in a sheath on our belts, and used them for making rifles or swords out of a length of wood, depending on what we intended to play up on the cliffs.

I still have a scar on my left index finger knuckle (hand end) where the blade slipped and sliced the thin skin down to the white bone underneath.
Hasty applications of sticky plasters (that my mate nipped into his house to nick) were used to try and cover up the wound, as I know my Mum would have been none too happy with my carelessness.
Luckily it had stopped bleeding properly by the time I went indoors, and one plaster was doing the job and I passed it off as a bit of a scratch.

Back in the 50's no one seemed to worry about 10/11 year olds running about with knives on their belts.

I also owned back then one rather knackered .38 revolver minus the grips, one hand grenade with no innards, and one rather heavy genuine Commando knife.
I can't remember where I got them from, but it was probably swapsies at school.  ;D

Happy days, and gone off topic as usual, sorry 'bout that  :blush:

Offline Babs

• Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 5
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 14, 08:08 PM »
Going off topic is fun...    :yup:

I still have a collection of various types of knives. Why? I don't know.

I also have a bayonet with (I think) a 1914 date stamped on it. All gathered over the years from here and there.
"Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!"

- Irving Berlin

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 14, 01:09 PM »
sounds like you woz a hells angel babs  :nut:

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 14, 03:37 PM »
That bayonet if in good nick may be worth a few quid ?
Big buggers too aint they ?

richard

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 14, 06:59 PM »
That bayonet if in good nick may be worth a few quid ?
Big buggers too aint they ?

Not many quid - they made so many of them, and so well, shitloads of them survived... they change hands for barely 80 even in mint condition unless it's a rarer type.

The one Babs has would certainly spoil your day if it found itself between your ribs, that's for sure!  :thud:

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 14, 07:40 PM »
Those blighters look to be half the length of the old .303 Lee Enfield, and would certainly cause some damage.

Compare them to the bayonets of today which are pretty small, either the 'pig sticker' type, or the normal blade type.

Which ever size bayonet, I would not like to the on the pointy end of one.. :o

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 14, 12:13 PM »
That was a very strategic rescue job, :tup:

A woman went into Safeway & bought some plastic knives & was paying for them at the auto self serve machines when an alarm went off, the sales assistant had to come & check she was over 18 before she could continue,  :yup:
Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Babs

• Landlord
« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 14, 04:12 PM »
sounds like you woz a hells angel babs  :nut:

Only in my dreams, Derek.    ;D

- Irving Berlin

Offline Babs

• Landlord
« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 14, 04:13 PM »
I'll take a pic of the bayonet this week and post it here.    :yup:

- Irving Berlin

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 14, 08:12 AM »

And next week, wait for the bang on the door from MI5, NSA, CIA and Mr Plod, when they deem that you are a terrorist risk for having a cache of weapons at home
I hope I am joking, but with today's pervasive surveillance and bureaucratic paranoia, I am not so sure

richard

« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 14, 09:13 PM »
And next week, wait for the bang on the door from MI5, NSA, CIA and Mr Plod, when they deem that you are a terrorist risk for having a cache of weapons at home
I hope I am joking, but with today's pervasive surveillance and bureaucratic paranoia, I am not so sure

It's perfectly legitimate to collect antiques - although somewhat frowned upon to demonstrate them on live (well, to begin with) subjects.

They are stored securely too, in case of burglars - we don't want things like that falling into the wrong hands.

Offline Babs

• Landlord
« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 14, 09:19 AM »

It would seem that I have moved the bayonet and put it in a 'safe place'.  ::) When I find it I will take some pics.   ;D

- Irving Berlin

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 14, 12:18 PM »
It would seem that I have moved the bayonet and put it in a 'safe place'.  ::) When I find it I will take some pics.   ;D

Between Richards shoulder blades because he has been naughty ?  :gig: >:D

Offline Babs

• Landlord
« Reply #22 on: Mar 27, 14, 05:29 PM »
Between Richards shoulder blades because he has been naughty ?  :gig: >:D

Not this time, Baron...   ;D

- Irving Berlin