Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 12, 18, 11:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104111
  • Total Topics: 11535
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (Oct 30, 18, 08:49 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14

Themes

Author Topic: My local shop...  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
My local shop...
« on: Oct 02, 15, 01:56 PM »
It's about 5 minutes walk from my house, so very convenient. It has passed through 3 owners since I have been here which is about 25 years.
Now it has been taken over by a Pakistani (I am assuming, but it doesn't matter) and apart from buying some groceries when it is quicker than going into town, I often buy a packet of cigarettes, one for me (still trying to give up completely) and one for the wife.

I use my debit card and hers.
Now this has never been a problem before, but yesterday it was, since matey complained that he didn't like me using two cards for two purchases (even though they are over the minimum ?5) because he didn't make much profit on cigarettes, especially one packet when using a debit card.

So I politely told him that if he was so worried about losing out on a few pennies because of this, I would go somewhere else.....which is a bit of a bugger as I would have to drive for about another 5 minutes to another shop.

I would lose out a bit by burning a little diesel, and he will lose out because I buy more than a couple of packets of ciggies there quite often...bread, milk, perhaps a packet of frozen chips, eggs, some fruit, all the usual things that generally it is not worth the effort of going into town for.

Money grabbing barstewards. !
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
Re: My local shop...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 15, 10:45 AM »
They're always money grabbing, we have Asians who will only accept cash so they don't have to pay tax.  >:(
Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 15, 11:31 AM »
Yep, a lot of shops now have been taken over by them, which I came across when I worked (those days long gone now  ;D ) and many I boycotted because of their attitude.

Now my local shop has been taken over, and if I have a quick natter with one of the girls working there, I can see matey giving here the evil eye.
The owner has now got rid of a couple of girls, and they don't work the hours they used to, as one of the owners tribe works in the shop.
It's just a case of 'that's ?6.32 and piss off' seems to be the attitude.

I mean what's their gripe...I mean the minimum spend on a card is ?5.00 and the packet of ciggies I bought was ?5.90 so I was within the rules, but no, the twat whinged about it eating up his profit on the packet which card charges I suppose.

If he does it next time, I will read him the riot act, and tell him to get stuffed.................nothing like cutting off my nose to spite my face, as the shop is near me and usefull.  ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 15, 11:04 PM »
Yes they come here & treat us as the foreigners,  >:(

then say we're racist.  ::)

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 15, 12:27 PM »
Yes, of course they are NEVER racist in their views of us.  ;D
My brother is also not at all happy about Australia being turned into a muslim country, and how the Government are trying to mess about with his Veterans payments and medi care, yet chuck thousands of dollars at all the immigrants.

When he phones me every couple of weeks or so, the conversations between us are quite interesting...............and if my Government is listening in, well, they can just sling their hooks... ;D

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 15, 09:42 PM »
Yes they don't need a war to take over a country these days.  ::)

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 15, 07:47 AM »
you can't blame any shop owner not wanting debit cards on small purchases. Most UK banks/card services charge a flat rate of  between 40p & 60p per transaction for  a debit card and on a credit card charge something like 20p + between 1.5% & 3%. That means the entire profit on a pack of fags is wiped out and it might even cost him  money for you buying a pack of fags
None of my local small shops will take any cards for less than ?10

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 15, 11:08 AM »
you can't blame any shop owner not wanting debit cards on small purchases. Most UK banks/card services charge a flat rate of  between 40p & 60p per transaction for  a debit card and on a credit card charge something like 20p + between 1.5% & 3%. That means the entire profit on a pack of fags is wiped out and it might even cost him  money for you buying a pack of fags
None of my local small shops will take any cards for less than ?10

He loses money ?....Good !  :gig:

But, they have a limit of ?5 spending on a credit/debit card, so my purchase of ?5.90 is over the limit and well within the rules set by the shop owner.
He will either have to grin and bear it, or change the rules about single purchases especially on tobacco products.

Yes, I know there is hardly any profit on selling fags, as I used to part own a shop.

So, since I am a regular at this shop, I am quite prepared to put myself out and go somewhere else, and I know there are quite a few locals who are not a bit disgruntled about who owns the shop ow, and their attitude.
If what is left of the girls who work there don't kick up a fuss - and they tell me that the owner or members of the family who work there - have not told them to kick up a fuss about a single purchase with a card, if they are on duty there then I will go in and buy whatever it is, even if it is a packet of fags.

If one of the family is there then I shall just walk out and drive to the Coop shop about 5 minutes away. Tough luck on me, but sod them are their penny pinching ways. They either provide a service under their own rules, or they don't.
(rant over)

However, nice to see you still around alive and kicking young Derek:wave1: ;D