Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 13, 18, 03:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104111
  • Total Topics: 11535
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (Oct 30, 18, 08:49 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17

Themes

Author Topic: Calling all gaming geeks  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 50
  • Kissy kissy...
Calling all gaming geeks
« on: Mar 27, 16, 05:39 PM »
I have:

1) Ordered a new kitchen.
2) Ordered an extension to the kitchen.
3) Ordered an upgrade to the bedroom en-suit.

I also have pending a significant birthday and my dearly beloved wants to buy me something special for my 65th, a new computer that will last me until I can spawn no more.

My choice is to build a super computer to give us the answer to life the universe and everything me a gaming PC to see me through to my demise (or at least to Fallout 5).

I have costed the options of building it myself and getting someone to build it for me and the difference is so small that it is down to the guarentee that it will work or be fixed if it doesn't.

I have chosen Overclockers as my desired supplier and this is what I have configured:

Motherboard - Asus Z170M-Plus Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 Micro ATX Motherboard
My choice for a self build as well

Processor - Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - OEM
Intel will give me lower operating temperatures and i7 will give me multithreading that the i5 doesn't have.

Memory - Team Group Elite 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (TPKD48GM2400HC16DC0
This is the default RAM and 8gb is the recommended for my game of choice.

CPU Cooler - Alpenföhn Brocken ECO CPU Cooler - 120 mm
Default CPU cooler, know sod all about the ins and outs so rely on Overclockers and warrenty.

Solid State Drive - Samsung 250GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-75E250B/EU)
120 gb just didn't seem big enough for the future, so 250gb seemed better for the future.

Mechanical Hard Drive - WD Black 2TB 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM (WD2003FZEX)
Western Digital is by far and away my HD supplier

Optical Drive  - OcUK 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM
Case can accomodate one so I'd like to have one.

Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming Edition 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
OK R9's give better performance at the expense of power consumption and heat, GTX 980 would give better performance but probably not worth the extra cost for what I want.

Power Supply - Cougar STX 550W 80 Plus 230V EU Power Supply - Black
Bit of a quandry here, would have prefered 650w Corsair 80 Plus Gold, but if Overclockers are happy I'll accept that as if it toasts it is their problem.

Sound / Network Card - Asus PCE-N15 300Mbps 802.11B/G/N Wireless PCI-E Network Adapter
Won't be gaming online but I'll still need to connect to our network

Case Lighting - BitFenix Alchemy 2.0 Magnetic Connect 15 LED-Strip 30cm - Blue
OK self indulgence

Operating System - Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-KW9-00139)
Hmmmmmmmm!

I don't intend to overclock but I do want to get bloody good quality performance out of the box. The monitor is another as yet unanswered problem, have a 22 inch, would like maybe a 24 inch but not sure a 27 inch and equivalent increase in resolution is necessary.

Any comments?
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
Re: Calling all gaming geeks
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 16, 11:43 AM »
Sounds like it'd outlast me...

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 50
  • Kissy kissy...
Re: Calling all gaming geeks
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 16, 06:05 PM »
Possibly me too ...

Still waiting for lump sums to arrive, nothing ordered yet and having real internal arguements between need and want.
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes