Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 12, 18, 11:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104111
  • Total Topics: 11535
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (Oct 30, 18, 08:49 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11

Themes

Author Topic: Internet keeps cutting off  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
Internet keeps cutting off
« on: May 30, 16, 09:57 AM »
I'll have to get onto Bigpond or Telstra to see why I can't log onto the Internet for more than a couple of seconds most of the day,  >:(

It's been going on for a week or more now, hope it's not my computer.  :pa
Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
Re: Internet keeps cutting off
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 16, 10:23 AM »
Tried the old "ipcofig /renew" thing?

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 16, 11:30 PM »
No Kat, don't know about that, what is it ?

but it's back to normal this morning, fingers crossed.

I was wondering if AVG can mess with things as they keep trying to push AVG Pro, telling me today is the last day to get 50% off.  :-\

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 50
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 16, 08:13 AM »
Hijacked thread warning ........

Last January we were having a big problem with BT, line was dropping out, devices repeatedly saying that we needed to reauthenticate our wifi connection etc. Several conversations with BT Mumbai, changed filters and moving home hub to the 'master' socket resulted in BT 'offering us' BT Infinity. This we accepted, swapped a homehub 3 for a homehub 5 and things stabilised, appeared OK.

However recently I needed to run a large download, Fallout 4 - 24gb, from Steam. Very quickly ran into problems with the homehub into a looped reboot. One thing that comes with a Steam download is a download speed display and on that we could see the fastest speed was 5.7gb/s dropping to zero and see the homehub reboot.

More conversations with BT Mumbai, more frustration from our end. Eventually we persuaded BT to let us talk to someone in the UK who we could understand and who could understand us. And woe and behold they say that they would send someone out to check our connection, which we had been asking for since January, which found a problem in the street 'box'. They connected us to another 'card' and suddenly we have 39gb/s. It looked very much like we had never been properly connected to BT Infinity.

Complaint raised, discussions with BT and an offer of £15 compensation, an insult. More discussions and frustration, £20. By this time we are sick to the back teeth with BT. Talk to PlusNet, try to move and are told that they want over £300 because we are ending our contract prematurely even though we were never sent or informed that we were starting a new contract in January, and not being provided with the newly contracted service.

Cancelled Plusnet, staying (for now) with BT. Open a new complaint, eventually we get them to accept that we were not provided with the service that we were paying for and that they would not charge us to leave. I say that with tongue in cheek because they are charging us for leaving, we are repeatedly reminded of this in e-mails and letters, but when we get the leaving bill we have to contact them so that they can raise a credit for the leaving charges. As we trust BT as much as we trust Camoron or Gidiot we have had this confirmed by e-mail.

Plusnet service starts on 10 June.
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 16, 11:10 AM »
Erm... PlusNet ARE BT... Well, a subsidiary.

'vonne...

Start > Run
Enter "cmd"
In the DOS window, type "ipconfig /renew"

If that doesn't help, try entering "ipconfig /release". (You'll go offline)
Enter "ipconfig /flushdns"
Enter "ipconfig /renew" (You'll go back online)

More here: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/workingwithipaddresses/a/ipconfig.htm

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 16, 02:25 PM »
I can understand your frustration Obblie, hope you get satisfaction in the end.  ::)

When Telstra was privatised the service went downhill, if long time customers don't demand their entitlements they are taken for granted & not given any special deals etc.  We also get the Indian based response to complaints & can't understand them. >:(

Thanks for those instructions Kat, very much appreciated, I will save them for when it gets bad again. :tup:

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 16, 03:37 PM »
Erm... PlusNet ARE BT... Well, a subsidiary.

Did know that, but they don't behave like BT, they even told me that if BT put up the line rental you can say that it isn't acceptable and be released from your current contract without charge, which I have since confirmed is an Ofcom ruling.
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 16, 07:53 PM »
You should move over here Obblie, cuz my ISP has a free phone call to their office, the phone is picked up usually within a minute or two, no bluddy menu to wade through, and since it is local -Cowes - they speak English...well much better than the people out in our Foreign Aid lands.

I can also drive over there - about 30-40 minutes depending on traffice - and speak to someone there. Which was handy when our TV set top box went u/s so I just phoned them to let them know, drove over there, swapped units and back home again in about an hour or so.  ;D

I rarely have a problem with our internet connection, and if there is it is usually beyond their control, which they are hastily trying to fix. The last real outage, was when some berk of a JCB driver over Southampton way, put his bucket through the cable from there to here.  ::)

When we moved house last year, I was really a bit worried that I might not be on their cable network, but they got an engineer who was out that way to check if the cable box was in the pavement outside the house, and the Office phoned a few days later to confirm that there was one.
I was seriously worried that I would have to sign up with some cowboy outfit like BT, Talk Talk, Virgin etc,, but worry time was over with that news.  ;D

As it turned out, we only moved to a house about 150 yards up the road (not the one originally planned for us), paid about 27 inc. VAT for a 'House Move' and they cabled us up from the pavement, put the internet cable into the small bedroom (i.e. my man cave) and left me a fair old length of cable so that I could hitch up the AIO wireless router any where I wanted in the bedroom.

I have been with them since around 2001 or so, and I used to have 30MB speed, but then one year got a free upgrade to 70MB (provided I bought the AIO wireless router, which I did at a reduced price after some haggling) and using OOKLA (for example) I get just about 70MB all the time, and no cap on usage either.  8)

I do feel sorry for people who have to put up with their ISP's, with bad service, pidgin engrish call centers, problems with invoices etc.....I have seen too many horror stories for me to ever think about switching ISP's........ever.  ;D

I feel the pain of Yvonne, because my brother used to be with Telstra. and had no end of problems with them. He is now with some other ISP I forget who, but now has a pretty decent service, and, he isn't paying as much either.  ;D

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 16, 11:48 AM by Baron »
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 16, 08:33 PM »
?

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 16, 10:13 AM »
I'd like to go back to Dodo, but Tony doesn't like paying online with our card number.  ;)

I just plugged my wireless dongle into the front of the computer & it seems to be working better for now, ...... in the past it wasn't much good there & was have been using a cable to the back of the computer for years.

Will see how things go.  :pa
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 16, 10:20 AM by Yvonne »

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 16, 06:46 PM »
Hmmmm ...

I've plugged a Belkin wireless dongle into a front USB port ... knees and dongles don't mix.

RIP Belkin dongle.

Have a TP Link dongle now, plugged into the back, with an iddy biddy USB mouse dongle at the front.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 16, 11:50 PM »
Well so far so good, no disconnections since. :tup:

MORE PHOTOS