Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 23, 17, 07:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 103038
  • Total Topics: 11399
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 127
  • (Nov 02, 12, 06:30 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11

adverts

RoboForm: Learn more...

Secunia

Themes

Author Topic: Months' quota used in 1 week  (Read 201 times)

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
Months' quota used in 1 week
« on: Jul 29, 17, 09:34 AM »
I went to Telstra today thinking someone was using my wireless broadband & was told it only happens on Wi Fi & mine isn't that;

he said the most likely cause was Windows 10 updating things, it hasn't happened before though.  ::)
Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Re: Months' quota used in 1 week
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 17, 11:16 AM »
Weird, since I haven't had any updates to install for quite some time, and having checked the last updates were on 12/07/17.
But settle back and get comfy, because I expect Derek or Kat may well have a better idea than me.... :)
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 17, 10:20 AM »
Thanks Baron:)

I've checked my updates also as well as other downloads & nothing explains it, although AVG did quarantine a couple of things & there is nothing in quarantine now.  ???

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 17, 05:16 PM »
I have got through many AV prog's over the last 17 years or so, either 'free' or actually free, but have junked them all and just settled for MBAM.
Although I am not sure that will last long, because originally I bought the prog. and updated it as and when.
But now they want a yearly subscription, which isn't cheap, so I think I will just have to revert to the 'free' version without all the bells and whistles.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 17, 12:03 AM »
Yes they all eventually switch to annual subscriptions, no regard for pensioners.  ::)

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 17, 09:49 PM »
Happens a lot, to W10 mugs users, sadly. "Windows as a service", huh?

Who needs it...  :u

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 17, 12:15 PM »
In the 'old' days like Win98/98SE, Windows ME ( ;D), XP Pro Corp.(thanks RSU), Vista (yes I liked it as it didn't bugger me about) I used to have various firewalls, virus checkers, and all sort of stuff running to prevent catching naughty viruses, none of which I paid for.  :yup:

Vista Home 32/64bit discs, was the first OS that I actually bought, the same as Win7 and Win10. However, a few years ago I bought a few 'Keys' online for about 18 (I think) and then downloaded from MS and used the key to try them out. They all worked and still have them. So I bought 'keys' for Win 7 Home, Pro, and Ultimate, and Win 10 Pro. over a few months. A version of Win 10 I bought the USB version from Scan Comp's again for about 18.

The only virus I picked up back then was on Win98SE when being a learner I clicked and installed all sorts of crap, like screen savers, tool bars and other stuff that looked pretty, and was quite surprised one day when I lost control of my mouse and captions popped up laughing at me. That cost me 10 for a bloke to come out and re-installed the OS.

Then I started to get a bit wiser, learnt how to install the OS, and stopped downloading stuff because it looked fun or pretty and would 'enhance' for no other reason than that it would 'enhance' the look of my desktop and I.E.  ::)

Once I went through Windows 8 - 8.1, then Windows 7, and now Windows 10 - I still run Win 7 and 10 on separate SSD's, and a cloned copy of each on another pair of ssd's, - I just use the built in firewalls, and MSE, and Defender, plus MBAM, but will have to revert to the 'free' version when subscription time arrives, cuz it is quite expensive.

Now sometimes during some research I just might stumble on to some rather dodgy web sites, but have not (yet) caught a virus over the years, but now and again a security warning will pop up allegedly from MS, freeze the page, and demand that I phone a number, pay them lots of cash, and they will then close their demand warning page.

I just take no notice, restart the PC, and then load up Chrome or I.E. and carry on as normal.  ;D

OOoopss, I seem to have gone off topic a bit............well, quite a lot actually... :blush:

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 17, 07:11 PM »
I've been using WSUS Offline Update (I don't trust M$) and it seems pretty good, thus far.

One of the few instruction manuals I read, this one... It's not immediately obvious how it works. You might think it is, but...