Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 15, 17, 12:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 103313
  • Total Topics: 11438
  • Online Today: 7
  • Online Ever: 127
  • (Nov 02, 12, 06:30 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8
Total: 8

adverts

RoboForm: Learn more...

Secunia

Themes

Author Topic: Windows 10, is being very annoying.  (Read 979 times)

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Windows 10, is being very annoying.
« on: Oct 06, 17, 02:45 PM »
Yesterday I installed win10 and it worked just fine, except no matter what drive I booted up with, it would ignore the other drives, and only the new W10 would boot.
Today I decided to try again. I disconnected all drives, and just had the W10 installation USB plugged in along with the drive I wanted to try again.

So, it installed and booted to the desktop, and found that my keyboard would not work.
I did manage to type in my MS email address (to save doing it later on) during the installation, but once on the desktop I could click on something like 'rename' a drive, click on 'run' etc. and although the mouse cursor worked ok, sod all happened when I tried to type.

This happened yesterday too.

So, I decided to install Win 7, with the USB drive for the installation, and got to the desk top again,,,, ::)
It would not recognise my WD USB storage drive so that I could not install the latest drivers that I recently downloaded from the Gigabyte web site,  but would recognise my DVD writer.
I couldn't get on the internet, so I though I would just install the Killer network drivers software from the original install disk, and then go the the Gigabyte web page and grab all the latest drivers from there.
 So that failed.

Plan Z !was then decided on, I would connect my SSD with Win 7 on it, and use Acronis to clone the SSD on to the Intel 750 Nvme drive, which luckily worked just fine......I just need to install the Intel drivers for it.

The keyboard works just fine on this new installation, so I doubt the Corsair keyboard is at fault.

Thank goodness for Acronis cloning software.... ;D

It all started to go boobs up a few days ago, because I decided that I would dig out my old WD 500GB drive with Win 10 on it, to update everything on it..............and found out that HDD's are bloody slow compared to SSD's............which later on would take ages to try and get to the desktop, eventually failed, and seemed to screw up by boot up selections too.

I think it was one of those days when "I wished I hadn't started that lark."

I used to have Win 7 original on a Samsung M.2 950Pro, and a cloned copy on my Samsung 850 SSD.
Also Win 10 original on the Intel 750 Nvme 400GB drive and a cloned copy on that on my Samsung M.2 950Pro 256GB drive.

It has all gone wrong now, but I have had enough computering over the last couple of days, and will try to finish of all this pissing about an in a few days, trying to install Win 10.
I have never had this crap before, and the fist time for about a year or since since installing Win 7 or Win10, as since then, I have always relied on a clone programme to get me out of any poo.

Plus on boot up when installing, when the 'chose you language' screen appears, takes about 20 seconds before the mouse will respond. Tried 3 different mouses too. :(
Oh woe is me..... :'(
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 17, 03:46 PM by Baron »
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
Re: Windows 10, is being very annoying.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 17, 11:30 PM »
I know how you feel Baron, totally frustrated.  :toff:

I've been onto Bigpond (Telstra) again, they said I would get another 8gb if my usage limit ran out again, now they say that was meant for ADSL2 not my mobile device.

Also saying that W10 is using my allowance with ongoing updates, I'm tending not to believe them though.
I'm fed up with getting dial-up speed after only 10 days or so, can't read emails & taking ages to load pages etc.
Suggested I get one of their tech guys to optimise W10 & get rid of apps I don't use.

Had letters telling us the NBN will be connected anytime from now 'til June next year now !  ::)

I'm totally fed up with the internet & not enjoying it at all now.  :toff:
Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 17, 11:50 AM »
Yep, I started off with happy days last April, when I had enough cash (Mother left me) to building a new PC, (and with parts left over, and bought another couple of bits like a case and gfx card, give give No.1 son a new PC for his web design work), and installations went just fine.
 I though I liked Win 10 back then, it worked and was stable too.
I also put Win 7 on another drive, and cloned them both on to other drives, and I thought 'great, no more fresh installs.
That was the plan anyway... ::)

My 'old' PC is now just a spare for anyone to use, like my No. 2 daughter using it to print off reams of paper for templates for stuff... :)

Over the last month or so, the PC has really been playing up, and has the nasty habit of booting up with it feels is the default drive, if I have been using another, so on every restart I have to go into the Bios and selected the boot up drive...again, which gets very frustrating if on a MS update, and anything else installed that needs to reboot, I have to faff about in the Bios again.
I wish I had not updated to this new Bios, as I find to a right pain in the botty, and is not as simple (although flashy and pretty) to use as the old one. which was just to go into the Bios, got to the boot menu, hit 'enter', arrow down/up to select the drive, then page up/down to bring it to the top of the list, and then hit F10 and its off to the desktop, and will stay on that drive until I change it for another one.
 Now I have to go to the drives available, cursor to select one, then off the the last menu of 'over ride' drives and then cursor/arrow up/down to select it, and hit 'enter' and it will boot up. Sometimes it will, and sometimes it will just ignore me and boot the 'default' drive, and I have to start all over again....... ::)

So many troubles these days, and still haven't managed to get a working OS of Win 10 on any drive, because all goes well, until I want to type something and sod all comes out of the keyboard....*sigh, and back to square one !

Nope, I am not much of a happy bunny at the moment (although I do have two working drives with Win 7 on them), and even my trusty 'old' PC is now also playing up, but at least there is a working Win 7 on it, although it won't find or download any MS updates, and the update check screen just sits there scratching its head... ;D
But it basically works so that is something.
It even has a working (just) version of Win Vista, (along with Win 7 on another drive) which is only really useful for getting stuff off the internet, so that's something... :)

OK, ''enough !' you cry, sorry for the rant, but in some ways it is quite nice that there are at least two of us being highly irritated just about every day for a while.... :-* :flowers:
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 50
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 17, 01:07 PM »
I find W10 mostly OK, but it doesn't have the complexities of drives that you do, just one SSD with the OS and programs and an HDD for files. The recurrent problem is it won't talk nicely to my wifi printer. From my W7 press print or scan and whoopee do how can I help you, but from W10  :toff:

As a prove my point exercise I thought that I'd see what it is like today, took 4 minutes to print a test page, but at least it woke up. Maybe that is because last week I had to delete and re-install all printers on all PC's. We have 3 PC's, 2 W7 and 1 W10, and 3 printers, Epson WF2510, Epson XP-860 and a Canon iP 8700.

Reason I had to reinstall them is because I'd had to disconnect the wifi routers etc. to reposition them. We have our own Netgear Blackhawk plugged into the Plusnet one and run separate 2.4G and 5.0G wifi bands, an extentensive Sonos network (a 5, 2 3's and 2 1's)  and a powerline network. Printers and PC's on the 2.4, smartphones and ipads on the 5.0 and smart TV's on the powerline.
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 17, 02:42 PM »
Wow, what a man cave you must have Obblie8)

I still have some old WD HDD's left, but mainly used in the old PC.

I still have:

WD 250GB from 2005. (not used)
WD 2 X Velociraptors 300GB from 2008. (one in the old PC and one not used)
WD 500GB from 2009. (one in old PC)
Samsung F3 1TB from 2010. (in new PC which I think may have an old copy of Win 10 on it, but disconnected)
WD 1TB from 2011. (in new PC which I think may have an old copy of Win 10 on it, but disconnected)
WD 500GB from 2015. (I tried updating this drive, which is when things seemed to go wrong)

Two are in my 'old' PC,

When I put together this one last year, I thought I would move into the world of faster SSD/Nvme drives.
Luckily my old HP Photsmart 7960 and Cannon Cannoscan 8600 scanner, and luckily they both work on drivers used on Vista. The printer ones just work off some basic drivers, with no bells and whistles, but just use to to print off emails or something, or when No. 2 daughter comes round to print of her stuff, as she only has a laptop or iPhone, I forget which now.

Another thing (which could probably be my mother board) is that when using my old PC today, I only need to bang the 'del' button a few times (about 2-3 seconds) to get into the Bios. On my current one it can take something like 20 seconds or so before the Bios will appear..............and this is supposed to be a new super-doooper sort of expensive one......which lately seems which seems to take so long to get into the Bios than the old 2009 one which gets there in about 5 seconds.
 Even when installing it can take this long before the keyboard works just so that I can select keyboard and language to get going !

The old one has 1 WD 500GB and 1 WD 300GB Raptor HDD's, and the new one has 1 x M.2 Nvme drive, and 1 x SSD drive.

Luckily, my printer and scanner are not buggering things up at all...bless 'em.. :D

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 17, 03:36 PM »
Computer stuff is spread between 2 caves, the Man Cave and Woman Cave 1.

Man Cave - Two PC's (W10 & W7) and 1 printer (standard quality print/scan)
Woman cave 1 - All the network stuff, 1 PC (W7, W10 planned when probate on my ma comes through) and 2 printers (both photo quality, one will do CD's s well and the other is A3) and Julie's jewellery making bits including tons of beads.
Woman Cave 2 - 2 sewing machines and half of eBay's fabrics
Woman Cave 3 - 5m x 4m studio in garden full of all sorts of art paraphernalia.

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 17, 05:06 PM »
LOL...you two certainly seem busy together, especially when you can do projects together.

I bought my old HP Photosmart print about 2005 I think, and fancied it because of all the bells and whistles I could use, like printing out colour photos etc.
The novelty wore off, and the only thing it is used for today, is printing off templates and a scanned copy of some document I need. That's it.... ;D
But it has done me well, and does rather prefer to have HP ink loaded, rather than a cartridge of compatible ink, which it makes a fuss about, and messing about by me in the software to get it to work properly, so I tend to use HP ink when required. I think I have changed the black ink once during the last couple of years, but not the colour one....yet.

Btw, I just had another go at installing Win 10, this time the Ultimate version, and all went quickly and smoothly, apart from the usual 20 second or so when I want to type something, like the name I will call the PC and stuff. But after installing basic drivers, chipset, audio, LAN, graphics, things that I only need to point and click to work, then I wanted to rename the C: drive, and as usual no words/numbers spouted from the keyboard........

Back to square one again......... ::)

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 17, 07:27 PM »
LOL...you two certainly seem busy together, especially when you can do projects together.

And then there is the garden ... (got some photos if you'd like to see them)

Don't know how I found time to do a job.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 17, 08:10 PM »
Why not Obblie, then I can see what some effort put into gardening would look like.... ;D

Mine is just cutting and strimming the front and back garden, and then go indoors, make a coffee and have a lie down outside on my sun bed, just lying there and admiring my hard work in the sunshine.... ;D 8)
Until the next time, and that is the nearest thing I get to actually do any gardening.  :yup:

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 17, 11:00 PM »
I get more satisfaction out of gardening than I do with the internet these days, but the body is getting weary.  ;)

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 17, 10:39 AM »
I've put some piccies in another thread

https://our-local.co.uk/index.php?topic=30066.new#new

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 17, 11:39 AM »
Good grief Obblie, those are some very nice photos, and I am rather envious, but far too lazy to even attempt a garden like that !
I can wish for one, but not willing to put the effort in to achieve that.........perhaps I can come round and sit in your little paradise, on a nice sunny day, so that I can drink your cool drinks, and eat your tasty biscuits, and have a snooze ?  ;D 8)

The wife was getting too close to my 'man cave' albeit with a mug of coffee, and I had to click on another web site in case she saw the pictures, and started to get ideas  :o
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 17, 11:42 AM by Baron »

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 17, 04:56 PM »
Thanks Baron, you are welcome anytime and Julie's specialty is welsh cakes.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #13 on: Oct 08, 17, 07:43 PM »
Starting to drool a bit at the thought of some welsh cakes. I know I shouldn't, but I cannot resist the smell and taste of cakes...........cakes is cakes !  ;D

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 17, 12:47 PM »
Well I went to a Telstra outlet today & managed to get a plan for 50gb a month & less phone freebies as we don't do long distance calls, & it works out $20 a month cheaper !
Will have to wait 'til the 20th for it to begin though; so fingers crossed there are no hidden traps.

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 17, 05:45 PM »
Great stuff Yvonne, because just when you think you are fighting a loosing battle, some good news comes out of it.  :hat3:

I too have now had some luck, in that after battling my PC for the last few days, I have managed to install win10 that works, hours downloading MS updates, installing software and a few games.
It was this 'easy access' that was messing up my keyboard, but after some hunting, I found that if I disable the 'easy access' it stopped it buggering about with my keyboard, and now works just as it always has.......before this annoyance.  :)

At long last, I have a fresh install of win7 and win 10 where they have both be cloned over on to different drives, and they all work......phew. I have left alone my one Win7 drive that hadn't been caught up in all this buggeration on another Samsung SSD, so I am back to having three SSD's with Win 7 on, but have disconnected the Samsung SSD again.....for safety... ;D

I wish I had 1 for every failed Win10 installation, all the restarts, disconnecting drives, formatting drives, needlessly installing drivers, because no point if I can't type anything, and all the other irritations, I would be a lot better off in my bank !  ;D

I have started up all the different drives and OS's to make sure they were working as they should and everything updated, and then cloned them, then starting up the cloned drives to make sure they work properly, so all seems to be good...and fingers crossed... ;D

Happy me...I hope !  :-* ;D

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #16 on: Oct 11, 17, 09:22 PM »
That's great news Baron, :tup:  ;D

no more pulling hair out hopefully.

Wish I knew which apps I can delete without affecting those that are needed.  ::)

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 17, 08:24 AM »
Yep, I am somewhat confused by some apps that are built in to Win10.
But I immediately after installing, get rid of crap like twitter, sway, news, money, sport, MS Wifi, radio, anything to do with phones, and some I want to uninstall I can't.
Then go through them again, and turn off those that I can't get rid of. I guess one of them 'location' I keep because that is handy for the weather and maps.
If something doesn't work properly, then I have to go through all the listed apps to see which one I should turn back on again... ::)

But any way, all the drives boot up and work, and instances of windows doing a disk check on every boot up seems to have now stopped.

So far so good.... ;D

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #18 on: Oct 12, 17, 09:31 PM »
Maybe you have the new version of W10, ?
I might try downloading it when I get my extra gbs next week.  ???

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #19 on: Oct 13, 17, 01:07 PM »
It seems I do, where all the programmes are listed, rather than the 'old' way of having to click 'all programes' (Yanks  ::)) to show all the progammes you have.
Many of them seem to be what some people demand, like a link to 'twitter' for goodness sakes, which I certainly do no want or need.  ;D

It takes a while to download and install, as there are other updates that come with it..well there were when I updated..

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #20 on: Oct 13, 17, 09:36 PM »
Was it still free or did you have to pay for it. ?

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #21 on: Oct 14, 17, 11:09 AM »
I originally paid for Win 10, but these updates are to 'modernise' Win 10 to make it more 'user friendly' in other words, to annoy me even more, so that I have to go through them all to see what I can uninstall, as I have no use for some of this built in crap... ;D
To me the only good thing is to have all the programmes listed when you hit the 'start' button, and not have to press another one to list the programmes.

For me I found that it can take a while before these updates become available, and it can take a while for them to download, and install themselves, plenty of time to go and do a weeks shopping, mow the grass, have a natter with your neighbours, paint the house to pass the time while windows gets on with it.... ;D

If that is what you meant ?

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #22 on: Oct 14, 17, 10:18 PM »
I got mine free before offer closed, so hope mine will update itself without having to pay.

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 17, 11:56 AM »
Well, fingers crossed all will be well.
On a fresh install (finally !) it took a few days before the 'improvements' were ready to download.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #24 on: Oct 15, 17, 02:26 PM »
I gather you got the download from the Microsoft site, I'm hoping it's a free upgrade also.  :)

Sounds like there's a few days of fun sorting things out, ... ho hum.

MORE PHOTOS