Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 15, 17, 12:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 103313
  • Total Topics: 11438
  • Online Today: 10
  • Online Ever: 127
  • (Nov 02, 12, 06:30 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10

adverts

RoboForm: Learn more...

Secunia

Themes

Author Topic: Obblies Garden  (Read 309 times)

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 50
  • Kissy kissy...
Obblies Garden
« on: Oct 08, 17, 10:35 AM »
These were taken in August this year.

The garden started in July 2011 with just turf on top of thick and heavy clay. We removed all of the grass because it was waterlogged for too much of the year and replaced it with gravel. We have 3 ponds, 2 with fish and 2 are connected by a waterfall that we built ourselves. We have recently added the summerhouse to replace a metal framed gazebo that had rusted through, the summerhouse has a cat flap and Alfie and Alice have made it theirs. To the side of the house is Julies studio, behind the cat house and Oreo. There is also vegetable garden with 5 raised beds and a greenhouse between the studio and the garage.

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
Re: Obblies Garden
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 17, 11:14 PM »
You've both done a marvellous job Obblie, :tup:

love the cat house.  ;D
Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 17, 04:52 PM »
Yep, dead posh wot you are Obblie.... ;D
We do have a black and white cat, not quite the same design, but she is a right flirt !
She doesn't belong to us, or next door, but I think somewhere over the road from us.
At school time she sits on my front gate, and waits to be made a fuss of by the kids and mum's going to the local primary school just down the road, and then when the time is right, she is out there again to be made a fuss of again by the mum's and kids on their way home.
She never does it on the weekends... ;D

She is also clawing on the kitchen window when it is grub time in the evening, and if no joy from us for some reason or other, she pops through the fence to our neighbours to do the same thing.
I think she is quite well fed, although I think she tends to make out that she has not eaten anything for about 6 months.... :gig:
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 17, 10:35 AM »
Oreo appears to have been born with only 2 basic drives in life, the vet removed one of them leaving him with food. He is a supreme scavenger, he's in the shopping bags looking for ham, up on the worktops trying to steal as you serve, if I leave the fridge open too long I have to remove him to shut the door. He visits the neighbours, two of which have dogs, into their houses and I expect steals the dog food. Though we do occasionally see Bruno when he has escaped, eating the cat food. He is also very affectionate and loves to be cwtched.
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 17, 05:10 PM »
Looks like mowing the lawn'll be easy. ;)

It's the weeds that always piss me off. Due to my tenosynovitis, I can't pull the buggers up and we all know what stuff like RoundUp's like... (Bee killer, in case you don't). So, at the moment, we pay one of those garden maintenance guys to come and mow the lawn and do the weeding. Won't be able to afford that for much longer, though. :(

I love the cat house, too. We got ours one of those plastic carriers, so that our Flossy had somewhere to go, when it rained. Even though she's gone, now :( the others seem to like it, so we left it there. Doesn't look as high class as yours, by a long way. I guess the cats don't notice, though, ay? ;)

Come to that, cats being cats, if we got them a classy one, or built one, they'd totally ignore it.

Funny, though. When we first got Lulu, I got her one of those three-platform tower things. Twenty quid from B&M. Thought it'd be a total waste of money, of course. But, a year and a bit along, she still uses it. It's one of her places.

I miss our fish pond. Our Koi were about two inches long, when we paid two quid for them. They were about two feet long, when we gave them to our friend, before we moved up here. Must've been worth a small fortune.

But, with my hands being as they are, I think I might find it hard work, now. Plus, we get a lot of fish-nicking birds, here, so we'd probably just be providing bird food.

Looking good, Obbles. Worth all the effort, methinks.

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 17, 08:34 PM »
Thank you Kat

Weeds piss me off also in big time  :nut: worst offenders here are bittercress and willowherb by numbers, but we do have problems with broad leafed dock and dandelions.

Mowing is indeed easy, weeding isn't.  8)

I guess the cats don't notice, though, ay? ;)

Not unless we seed it with food.

Inside cat trees, fine, long kitchen/diner with a cat tree at each end great. Some like the diner end (mostly Socks) and some (mostly Oreo) like the other end. Otherwise not.   :think:

Julie said goodbye to a lot of big fish when she moved out of her previous marital home, personally I never bonded with the fish in the canal.

I cannot claim that I have done most of this. Julie and I are physically similar, OK she has bigger tits, but we are the same shoe and glove size and within an inch on height. Please imagine an elderly lady in rigger boots and a bikini digging the ponds  >:D.

We garden organically so no nasty chemicals, have seen a heron, got kitties excited (though I'd like to see one get it through the cat flap, doh, doh, doh ....

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 17, 01:35 PM »
Our kitten, Lulu, hunts all the time. But, like every Bengal, she's crap it it (Thank gawd!)

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 17, 11:10 AM »
Alice is our hunter and she is pretty good at it. Often hear the mouse dance in the bedroom during the night and find rodent corpses around the garden, fortunately very few birds.