Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 18, 17, 07:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 103271
  • Total Topics: 11430
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 127
  • (Nov 02, 12, 06:30 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 6
Total: 7

adverts

RoboForm: Learn more...

Secunia

Themes

Author Topic: Obbles has a new hobby  (Read 151 times)

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 50
  • Kissy kissy...
Obbles has a new hobby
« on: Oct 25, 17, 11:19 AM »
I'm reverting to childhood.  :)

Julie and I are going to build an OO gauge rauilway. Early days yet as we are still planning the layout and clearing the space to put it.
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Online Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Re: Obbles has a new hobby
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 17, 06:56 PM »
Model railways are great for any age !  :)
I would like to, but don't have the room, as our 3rd bedroom (as it is officially listed), only has room for a couple of PC's and two chairs, and even if removed, there is not really that much room for a decent track layout.
I reckon you will get much joy and pleasure building it (deep pockets too probably), and the joyful experience of having every thing done and ready, when you first run your engine or train to check that there are no faulty connections and stuff. A bit like when turn on a PC you have just built, but with a train set, you can play with all the working parts... ;D

What do you reckon, all done and dusted early next year ?
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 17, 07:11 PM »
Hopefully, we won't start landscaping until all the track, points motors and signals are installed and working. I will be doing the major construction and electrics, and Julie will make models and paint things.
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 17, 09:50 PM »
Look out for grandchildren if you have any.  ;D

The garage is also a good place to set up in.  ;)

Have fun you two & post a photo one of these days.
Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 17, 10:33 AM »
No grandchildren yet but one is imminent, due 1st November.

We are going to build it in Julie's studio, henceforth known as the train shed. It is 15ft x 12ft and well insulated. The layout will be 12ft x 6ft 6in. Still clearing her art stuff out at the moment. When I have something interesting I will most certainly post piccies.

Online Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 17, 07:31 PM »
My Dad built a fair sized train track in a spare bedroom back in the late 50's on a wooden 'bench' as he was pretty good at making models, and made sure he was there to supervise when us kids were using it... :)

But it reminds me of my time in Cyprus at RAF Akrotiri, 1965-1967.
Scalextric cars, which we new as 'slot cars', and manage to get permission to take over a non used parachute packing building, which was pretty huge inside, plus it was just over the road from our two storey 'flats'.
The building materials like hardboard, 2" x 4" time for frames and legs, hand saws, jig saws (for cutting the track slots, nails, screws, copper tape (for the tracks), car/lorry batteries paint etc...where all scrounged from the MU chaps, so we only had to buy the cars, and a few other bits.
It took us quite a while to build, and then check all the track was conducting electrikery properly, and the battery connections to the track had no faults, and I think we painted the hardboard surface green or grey, which I think was the RAF colours for vehicles. We used the jig saw to cut 'cut outs' around the track for the marshalls to use, so that they could quickly put cars back on the track if someone went to fast, or 'nerfed' and car off the track.
Once testing was done, by dry runs around the track with our cars to finally make sure there were no dead spots, we were all happy. It took about a month or so before it was finally finished, as me and mates plus others volunteering to help out.
That's when we put word around to all the various 'camps' on Cyprus, to have family friendly races against other teams. We had a tea urn, and we supplied nibbles and stuff so that the onlookers could stuff their faces and cheer on their teams.
It was great fun and became quite popular, with everyone tuning up their cars and stuff, with their small tool boxes and kit, like running in their tyres to warm them up, for better grip.
It was still going when I left in 1967, and wonder how long how long it lasted. Happy days.

Yep I know it's OT and a bit long, but then I am known to ramble on a bit sometimes...well, lots actually.... ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 17, 04:46 PM »
I have a small one. Had it years. :)

I still add bits, now and then. Most buildings are self made, too.

Before you ask, I DO have a Thomas loco, along with Annie and Clarabel...  :)

Online Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 17, 10:48 AM »
My mate had a Hornby wind up train set, just the usual oval track, but his engine could pull a rocket on a flat bed, with other carriages or coal wagons, and it actually worked, because when it was stopped, you would press a spring somewhere and the rocket would shoot off the flat bed for a couple of feet.
Sad I know, but it did amuse us as kids.... :)

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 17, 03:46 PM »
I have found the ideal train set for you Keith. Just perfect for your second childhood   :bolt:

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 17, 09:47 AM »
Used to have one of them  :yup: want something better now ...  :neener:

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #10 on: Today at 05:48 PM »
Not a good day, the cork won't stick and I've killed my soldering iron  :embarassed: