Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 23, 18, 08:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 103467
  • Total Topics: 11461
  • Online Today: 17
  • Online Ever: 127
  • (Nov 02, 12, 06:30 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14

adverts

RoboForm: Learn more...

Secunia

Themes

Author Topic: Windows 10 again.....again...again...*sigh.  (Read 710 times)

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Windows 10 again.....again...again...*sigh.
« on: Dec 13, 17, 05:02 PM »
OK, so I have Windows 7 installed on two different drives, and have been running them (checking for updates etc to keep them up to date) and have been running them for the past couple of weeks.
Today, I decided to load up a Windows 10 drive, and it is all screwed up. It loads Edge, and tells me that it can't sign me in, and I go into accounts to make sure I am signed in.
Also no icons for games and stuff I have on the desktop. I click on the Windows icon to display the start screen thingy, and it is full of bloody apps that I don't want.
For example I will select to show 'My PC' on the 'start' screen which it does, but when I reboot, it's gone, so I have to do it again.
My games etc. and all showing in Explorer, or clicking on the drive in 'Programmes' and everything is there, except I can't use them.

Bugger...I thought.

So I reboot and select the other Win 10 drive and boot that up, which is exactly the same........buggered up, and the 'You're not signed in' crap on Edge.
Now I know I have booted up the correct drives, because they are labelled Windows 10-1 and Windows 10-2.
They are both Samsung 950 256GB Nvme M.2 drives, so I labelled them to tell them apart.... :)

So I change a few things on them, like putting a few icons in the 'start' menu, but every time I boot up either of them, they're gone and it's the same old krap again..........they don't remember anything !

I cannot figure out how this has happened, because they were working just fine a week or so ago, and only switched to Win 7 because a game I like to play 'Company of Heroes' was very jerky on Win 10 even though it was fine, and running latest Nvidia drivers on both drives.

Has MS secretly behind my back done some installing on both drives that has buggered everything up or what ?
 I cannot understand how two separate drives are now now exactly the same layout etc. as each other,  and nothing like they were before I stopped using them.

It looks like I will have to  install one on to the motherboard, and install Window 10 from scratch again............oh what hours of joy that will bring.  ::)

Then remove it, install the other one, blatt that and install Win 10 on that from scratch again.............I won't clone the new install onto the 2nd one this time, just to make sure all is well.

I is somewhat perplexed at this trickery....as I had enough of this krap a month or so again, when everything went tits up (sorry Yvonne) and took me days of formatting, installing, doesn't work, formatting installing etc. until the drives did work again.

OK, rant over.....for now.  :D

I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Lil_NZ

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 0
Re: Windows 10 again.....again...again...*sigh.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 17, 02:10 AM »
Been there, done that. Not with Windows 7 though.
I ended up havving to restore to factory settings after the latest 10 update....
That took me back to 8.1 arghhhhh.
As for signing in - I tried, after many vain attempts, my Windows password, and it worked.
Edge can get stuffed. I downloaded Chrome,signed in and got all my bookmarks back.
Still not quite there, but I feel your frustration.

As for your game being jerky on Windows 10 - that's the whole reason I restored. Then I found a brilliant little suggestion on the web which suggested going to Radeon and rolling back the driver.... it worked.

Not sure if any of that helps, but I do feel your pain. Good luck :nut: Lilxxx

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 17, 12:54 PM »
Well, at the moment Win 10 does not exist on my computer.

It does on my laptop, as it is factory installed Win 10. I reset it back to factory settings, it took far too many hours during the day to reinstall itself, and now works a bit differently than it did before with all the new updates, which is a bit of a pain, but it works. ::)

I removed one of the M.2 Nvme drives (on my main PC) from the motherboard, and have formatted the remaining one until I decide next year to pluck up enough courage to spend hours reinstalling Win 10 on it.
For now, I am just using the two drives with Win 7 installed, and use them alternately to keep them up to date.
So far they have been working well................fingers, legs, arms and eyes crossed that it stays that way.... ;D

I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 50
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 17, 06:01 PM »

:hang: :hang:
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 17, 08:22 PM »
Sometimes I have felt like that, with my big and heavy PC case roped around my neck for a big crashy squashy landing on the front garden.... :o

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 18, 09:06 PM »
If you totally disconnect one of the drives, does it still play W10 buggery?

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 18, 11:02 AM »
Nope, I have formatted the drives M.2 drives, and also found a WD500 GB drive in a slot, so for fun I connected it to see if Win 10 was workable.
It sort of was, but it couldn't find my sound card, and when I got the latest Creative Soundblaster ZxRi drivers, and tried to install them. Windows said that I had no audio device installed, so the drivers failed.
I faffed about for a bit trying to get Windows to realise I do have an onboard sound card, but it says 'No you don't'.
So I just booted up with Win 7, and formatted the drive.

Sometime this year soonish, maybe, when I will have the will, patience and the time, I will try to reinstall Windows 10 again. Until then my PC is totally Windows Tenless for now.  ;D

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 18, 08:44 PM »
Did you a favour, there... ;)

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 18, 03:06 PM »
For the moment yes.  ;D

But, when Win10 worked, it was fine, until these past few months when it didn't for some reason.

Didn't it like the drives I had in the case ?
Didn't it like my motherboard ?
Didn't it like my 2 memory sticks ?
Didn't it like my cpu ?
Didn't it like my psu ?

Buggered if I know.

I know my motherboard was not keen on my psu, as 3 failed (went  into boot loops and stuff), so on the 3rd RMA I requested a similar one, but different model, which seems to be ok so far.
It was a Corsair AX860i psu. On the 2nd RMA, they had troubles tying to get the unit to do what it did to me, so they actually bought the exactly same motherboard as mine, and this is where it reproduced the same problems. Well done Corsair I reckon.
Anyway they sent me a replacement and after a few weeks that also played up, so that is how I got a replacement, but differed model from the range, an HX860i.

Lucky I have a 2 spare ones, but the older on dates back to around 2009 era, but, it does work.

But for now I don't have the inclination or energy to install Win10, and am just running Win 7 on a Samsung 850 250GB SSD, and the Intel 750 Nvme 400GB drives.

So that leaves me with 2 x  Samsung M.2 Nvme 256GB drives, a WD500GB, and WD 1TB drives as formatted spares to choose from.

Happy new Year mate..

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 18, 09:43 PM »
You, too, doooooooooood!

I gave up with W10. I spent ages getting it as near to as I wanted and the fucking updates screwed it all back. After that had happened a few times, I thought "Fuck this" and went back to W7. I doubt I'll ever go back.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 18, 11:04 AM »
I intend to have another go at Win10, but when I have enough energy and patience to take near enough a day to install it, all the MS updates, then knock it into shape by getting rid of krap like, Twitter, and anything it will let me uninstall to do with mobile phones phones, and all the other built crap that is no interest to me, and only for the smart kiddies who have to have all the crap on their smart phones, and also built into their PC/laptop.
Luckily Win7 doesn't seem to be over loaded with shyte that I don't want, or would ever use.
 Then of course install my few games, and software that I find useful, and then the updates to them.
 By the end of the day, I have usually had enough, but during some installations of stuff, I restart with Win7 to have a break, and be able to use a fully working PC.......... ;D