Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jun 24, 18, 11:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 103627
  • Total Topics: 11481
  • Online Today: 31
  • Online Ever: 127
  • (Nov 02, 12, 06:30 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 20
Total: 20

Themes

Author Topic: This is a sad story from WWII.  (Read 584 times)

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
This is a sad story from WWII.
« on: Jan 19, 18, 01:13 PM »
It is about an Australian pilot in the RAF, who was friends with my mother, then an NCO in the WAAF, and this is (possibly) the last letter he wrote, from hospital after being shot down previously 3 times before, and was being treated for a shrapnel wound in his thigh and burns, written on 29th Sept. 1940, and went missing and presumably shot down again on 30th Oct. 1940.

I read his letter sometimes, and I feel quite sad, but he was just one of 'few'pilots being cheerful and and basically 'chin up chaps' aged 23 years old, with such a short life during the Battle of Britain.
Yep, just a bit of history, but it is a little bit personal to me, since he was known to my mother.
Others might say 'So what'.......... ;D

A couple of stories about him and his exploits:

https://www.billhowardauthor.com/single-post/2015/09/07/Bill-Millington-Squadron-Mascot-During-the-Battle-of-Britain

http://www.worldnavalships.com/directory/aircrewprofile.php?AircrewID=8109

I have also considered trying to return the original letter to his parents/relatives, but don't have a clue how to go about it...

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 18, 01:16 PM by Baron »
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
Re: This is a sad story from WWII.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 18, 09:03 PM »
It's very sad reflecting on those old letters written whilst they were fighting in the wars.

I have a couple my grandfather wrote during WW1, also a distant cousin I met last year gave me a couple he'd written to her family.

With genealogy you can come across those rellies, also Googling the name may take you to the research of other rellies on genealogy forums.

Hope you get lucky.  :)
Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 18, 01:28 PM »
Hiya Yvonne,
 I have seen a lot of doc's on YT about flyers from that period, of both sides of the conflict, which are very interesting.

But I kinda treasure this hand written letter of 78 years ago, from a cheerful chap, full of hope and spirit, only to loose his life a short while after getting back into action again.

Wow, those letters that your grandfather wrote, are rather special I think.
Do you read them much ?

My sister in law in Boonah started a family history tree, but only managed to get a few generations back, and ran out of links to go any further.

I only knew about this bloke when I was sent some of mothers effects after she died in 2016, and was fascinated by this chap, so I had to try and hunt him down on the internet, to get his story.
She was featured in a news paper and had a small story and a picture in 1939 for being the first Aussie to join up, which was in the WAAF's, - Womens Auxillary Air Force, now the WRAF's -  Womens Royal Air Force..... :)

It's sort of nice to have a hand written letter from those times, and the story of his short life, doing what he wanted to do, i.e. fly to protect the UK.

I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 18, 08:54 PM »
Hi Baron:D

I googled him & found he was William Henry Millington, I guess you found that too.

I have a lovely embroidered lace envelope with embroidered card inside that he sent grandma from France during the war, but not many letters, I think they may have been troubling reminders for them.
He was gassed during the war & I remember him having an oxygen bottle sometimes & a number of stays at the repatriation hospital.
I imagine that could be why they had no more children after the war.

Dad was in National Service in the RAAF.

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 18, 11:59 AM »
Sometimes the internet is a right pain, and other times it is very useful.. ;D
It took a little while to make sure that Bill was the right chap, but what I found seemed to tie in with what I knew.

These old personal belongings, I find very sad, but I can look back into the past.

I mean people collect old manuscripts, letters from hundreds of years ago, all useful for historians.

Mine and your pieces of history, are from the last 100 years or so, so still quite young..
For me, it is just a little peep into the past, and there are very few now from WWII still alive, much the same that in our life time, the survivors from WWI, have passed over the years.

Any ideas of how I could get in contact with some administration in Australia, to see if I could pass on this letter to them, to pass on to any relatives who might like to get it ?
Not that I secretly want to keep it of course... ;D

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 18, 07:03 PM »
Real, live history...

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 18, 09:03 PM »
 Sorry I've taken so long for a suggestion,

you could try the Australian War Memorial at ... https://www.awm.gov.au/research/guide/service-records

I've been having my gutters replaced & have lots more jobs to get done.

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 18, 10:37 AM »
Thanks for the link Yvonne.  8)

Having your gutters replaced eh, is there a medical term for that ?  :blush: :gig:

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 18, 12:46 AM »
Probably an intestine transplant.  ;D

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 18, 10:29 AM »
 ;D.........Glad your sense of humour is still intact... :flowers: :hat3: