Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 18, 08:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 103544
  • Total Topics: 11467
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 127
  • (Nov 02, 12, 06:30 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 3
Total: 3

Themes

Author Topic: Ashampoo driver updater...  (Read 175 times)

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Ashampoo driver updater...
« on: May 02, 18, 07:07 PM »
I have bought Ashampoo products over the years, and nearly always when I have been emailed a good offer, and get things then rather than the full advertised price.
Anyway, I recently bought their Driver Updater, for about a tenner I think, and thought I would try it out.
Normally I see driver updaters advertised, and stay away because I did try out a free updater some years ago, and ok if said it found some older drivers, and then wanted cash to download new ones......bugger that I thought.... ;D

However, since I spent most of a day installing Windows 10 (just as well I had my Jeremy Clarkson Xmas pressie to read...yep, I like him), but it still made a game I play jerky as buggery, and hopeless to play.
So with nothing much to lose, I installed it on Win 10, and let it run updates on most items except some Nividia drivers (I prefer to install them myself from Nvidia), and HDMI audio drivers...don't need them.

It worked, and have had no problems at all, which surprised me.

I booted up a drive with Win 7 on it, and installed the updater on to that, again without a couple of drivers.....not needed....and again the PC hasn't suffered from this at all, in fact I don't get a nagging message that one of my USB items needs to have more poweeeer ! I don't see why since all my USB thingies are plugged into the motherboard USB 3.0 ports.

Anyway, I was rather surprised but pleased that the software didn't bugger things up, as I usually use the Gigabyte app to check for drivers and install them if needed..........this software was quicker with downloading and installed without fuss, plus all drivers are backed up should things go wrong.

No, I don't work for Ashampoo....  ;D

Have a look: https://www.ashampoo.com/uk/gbp/pin/0095/System%20Utilities/Ashampoo-Driver-Updater
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
Re: Ashampoo driver updater...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 18, 09:28 AM »
I keep getting 'driver updates needed' by AVG etc. but don't want to have to pay for them, especially online;
could get daughter to do it for Mother's Day.  ;)

Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 18, 11:37 AM »
Yep, I have always been very wary when I get ads for 'update your drivers' and never trust them.
However, I have bought some good products from Ashampoo, and thought I would risk an OS by trying it out.
I let it do its thing, and was surprised, but happy when it didn't break the PC when I rebooted.  ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 18, 12:42 PM »
I never, ever touch the drivers, unless something croaks. Touch wood, nothing has...

...yet.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 18, 03:53 PM »
I normally tend to agree with you Kat, but I couldn't resist the temptation to try it out.... ;D

Normally I use my Gigabyte app to tell me if there are new drivers for the motherboard, and then download and install them if I actually run equipment that I use. Thunderbolt, Cloud, Raid, Bluetooth, and  few others I don't use so don't install them.

I was just happy that every thing worked on boot up.... ;D

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 18, 07:54 PM »
I tried updating my GFX card drivers, a while back, coz it's almost as old as I am. There were some available and they certainly installed. But, I've never noticed any improvements.

If I ever win the lottery, I might treat myself to something ridiculously expensive.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 18, 11:35 AM »
I update my gfx drivers from the Nvidia web site, and although new drivers were on offer from the 'driver updater' I prefer to do those myself.
I don't notice any obvious improvements on new gfx drivers either, but install them anyway so that I don't have the nagging icon telling me there are new ones..... ;D

As for the lottery, I agree, but a couple of years ago after my Mother died (at 93yrs), I got a few thousand from an inheritance (which my evil sister tried to do me out of... ;D) in April 2016, so I spent some on a new PC. It was not cheap and will have to last me, because being a bit ancient now, I thought A. I don't have the dosh any more, and B. what's the point because the one I have now will out live me, so this is my last PC build..... ;D

I still don't know what to do with my old 2009 one, which was used as a spare, but one day on start up to use it, it kept going into a boot loop and would not start.
I have two spare working PSU's, and decided to swap them over, but the 8 pin power connector for the cpu is right up tight in the L/H corner near the IO plate, and a devil of a job it was to remove it.

Then of course I had the same problem trying to fit the 8 pin from the replacement PSU, and for now, I am buggered it I can get it to fit, without having to take the top of the case off, and probably other bits to get at it.
 For now with this decent weather I have given up for now, and not really sure if I want to try and get it working again, as I am getting a bit too lazy these days.  :o

I mean when it worked it was fine with an Intel 920 cpu, Abit Fatal1lty nForce motherboard (before they went bust), 6 x 1GB sticks of DDR2 memory (I could only fine 1GB sticks at the time), Noctua air cooler, 2 x Gigabyte 6870OC gfx cards in CF, 4 HDD's, CD/DVD player/burner, and other bits.

This was my workhorse before I built this new one, and now I am not sure what to do with it, as it is like an old friend.... ;D

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 18, 05:12 PM »
I've always found NVidia to be a bit of a pain, when trying to get drivers. I've found that catalyst/legacy (I can never remember which) do the job far better than theirs ever have.

I got them from some overclocking site, yonks back.

My card is an ancient 600 G-Force, or summat, that I got from dear old Bill (Brow). The new ones are so damned expensive that I haven't a hope.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 18, 05:42 PM »
I just go to nvidia site, choose the series of card, and let the web site show what's available.
There was a site I used to get gfx card drivers from, but buggered if I can remember where it is, as it was quite some years ago.
A great help, I know... ;D

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 18, 09:58 PM »
I bit the bullet and tried their "Let us search for your drivers using our IE only tool" thing.

Seems the ones I have are the latest ones. :)

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 18, 12:40 PM »
I only buy their stuff when I get emailed on offers, and if the price is about 7-10 I will buy something if it might be useful.
So far I have used the updater that found loads of out of date drivers for Intel and stuff, thought' hey ho I will give it a go', pressed 'scan' and ticked all the ones (most of which I didn't have a clue about), and only left off the Bluetooth, HDMI audio driver and Nvidia drivers off the list.

I was happy when the PC restarted and everything worked !

I have previously only used the Gigabyte app for updating drivers, so this proggy found stuff not offered to me.

At least you got a positive result, so it told you what I guess you knew already... 8)

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 18, 12:52 PM »
I have a few of their things and they seem OK. I got hookey versions of their Photo Commander. Oddly enough, they have v5 for free. v5 is WAY better than all the subsequent versions! I think they're up to v14, or summat.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 18, 02:55 PM »
Yep seen that on offer, but no use to me as I am not into photography.
I have just looked at my 'Ashampoo' folder and see all the programmes I have bought over the years !  :o

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 18, 03:15 PM »
It's good for pr0n slideshows, coz it does both pix'n'flix, too.  ;D

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 18, 06:24 PM »
Ah, that proggy begins to sound more interesting.  8) ;D

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 18, 09:57 PM »
 :gig: