Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 18, 08:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 103544
  • Total Topics: 11467
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 127
  • (Nov 02, 12, 06:30 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 3
Total: 3

Themes

Author Topic: Oi! Councils! Just how stupid are you?  (Read 71 times)

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
Oi! Councils! Just how stupid are you?
« on: May 12, 18, 09:56 PM »
According to the news, tonight, they're having to pay 50-odd MILLION quid, to clear up fly-tipping.

Boy, is someone ripping them off, with that.

Anyway, as you charge such ludicrous amounts, to collect items for the rubbish which are too big for the bin, people who can't afford it are just dumping their crap.

If you dropped that charge, or even... er... binned it, think how much you'd save! 'course, the Tory-owned companies who clear the fly tips will lose out on their 50-odd million, but...

Are they really that idiotic?  :t:

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Re: Oi! Councils! Just how stupid are you?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 18, 12:35 PM »
Yep, indeed. Now with these bins with each one collected on alternate weeks (except the kitchen slops bin), and different Councils have different views on the bins. Open very slightly, the bin blokes won't empty it, but luckily over here they are a little bit more lenient about that. All far too fussy, and now difficult to get rid of big stuff, so the lazy just chuck stuff anyway out of sight.
 Mine you, the gippo's/travellers don't give a flying shyte when they move on somewhere else to annoy residents.

Ah for the halcyon days when the bin men came into your garden, collected the metal bin on their shoulders and chucked all the contents into their dust carts.....the sort of curved ones with sliding doors on the sides. Then returned the bins from whence they came. Some of course left some rubbish on the road/pavement, but that just became a bit of a running joke.

Councils seem to spend much more money in their efforts to save money these days.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 18, 12:50 PM »
Very few council depots around, now.

Ours even has the gall to charge an extra 35 quid, for them to empty the garden waste stuff, which Amey already make a hell of a profit from. Yes, Amey has Tory shareholders...

We still have our recycling centre and it's making them a pile of profit, too. If you have the wherewithal to get big stuff, there, they take care of it. But, if they have to come and get it, they charge you fifty quid, or something daft. They wonder why people just dump it...

If this stuff wasn't contracted out, those profits would be being made by the council, to improve other things, like the pot holes. Funnily enough, Amey are responsible for those, too. No wonder so many, here, have off-roaders, like we do. They handle the holes better. There've been so many prangs, of late, due to those...

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 18, 02:53 PM »
I think 'Biffa' are the firm contracted by the Council to do the weekly collections, but their collection times are weird.
On green bin collections they usually appear around 07:30 - 08:00, so I have to remember to bring out the green wheelie and slop bin after about 19:00 in the evening, as I am buggered if I am going to get up early to take them out then.
 On black bin day plus slop bin, they don't turn up until about 13:00 or so.
Ho hum.

I haven't been to our local tip site for a couple of years, but I have some crap to get rid of, plus the old drum from our washing machine, which the engineer chappy couldn't take away with him.
I think it is still free....

I must admit the Council are raking up the surface of roads, and then doing a decent job of resurfacing them, rather than the quick and easy way of spraying some tar and then sprinkling some shingle or whatever on to it, which lasts for a while, and get the chance of windscreen chips off the new surface.

There are a few roads in Ryde (and else where), that really need resurfacing, because driving along some it's like the surface of the Somme after a battle, but many of them have been done, and those roads are all the better for it, and should last a good few years.

No wonder my front suspension on my car is a bit knackered now, and is going to cost me some lolly at the end of this month with the MoT..........I already have some 'advisories' from last year.

Me = sad panda now.... :(

I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 18, 03:14 PM »
Ah... Don't get me going, with pot holes...

Years back, there was a machine, which allow the underlying layers of the road to be recycled, churning up the old surface material, combining it with new material within the body of the machine then laying it back down immediately on the road behind. You always saw them with flames at the back, which was a bit scary for a kid...

Up to 1,000 tonnes per hour could be resurfaced, compared to an average of about 100 tonnes per hour using conventional methods. These things?

So, what did the bloody Tories do?

Scrapped the lot of them! They never resurface, now. They just send a guy out with a bucket of tar and a spade...

Bunch of wankers.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 18, 04:26 PM »
Yep, I remember those machines, but progress today is just going backwards.
Recently had some turmoil in town with roads closed whilst some resurfacing was being done, but all done now so life is back to normal, but now on smooth nice roads. Even out in whoop-whoop in the countryside of the Island, many of the side roads (old farm tracks between villages) have all been re-done, and are nice to drive on too.
But there are still roads in and around town that are seriously in need of some TLC, which hopefully now with the on/off decent weather is here, they will fix.

Then of course is the water board digging up roads to lay new water mains, and for a change, not doing it after resurfacing.... ;D

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 18, 10:00 PM »
Ha! In Altrincham, they spent thousands on a new pavement and they got some Germans in, to do it. Very arty-farty...

Two weeks after they finished, United Utilities dug it up, to sort the water main out, or something...

Gotta lurve forward planning!

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 18, 11:54 AM »
Yep, that sort of thing happens far too often for it to be a mistake... :gig:

Whenever I see half a dozen blokes standing about whilst someone digs a small hole, I always think it must be the time of year for them to take their NVQ's in hole digging..... ::)