Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 10, 18, 07:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104111
  • Total Topics: 11535
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (Oct 30, 18, 08:49 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19

Themes

Author Topic: Has anyone eaten stuff that is way out of date....and lived ?  (Read 364 times)

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Me....I fancied some cream crackers (Jacobs), with butter and cheddar cheese, got out the packet, opened it, and just checked that they crackers hadn't gone soft, as they had been in the cupboard a while, and afterwards I checked the use by date, and found it was 2nd September 2017.
Still nice though...... ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
I wouldn't trust anything with raw eggs in it, like mayonnaise though.  :yuck:
Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
Yeah I do have some exceptions, like Mayo, ham that goes a bit green and runs about the fridge shelf after growing arms and legs, pork, and some other stuff.
But if it passes my nose sniff test (but very suspect since it doesn't work too well these days), then I will give it a go.
I find smell, looks and feels are indicators to me, but the Jacobs crackers are fine, no green mould and still crisp....
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
I eat things that are WAY out of date. I always examine them, first, of course. If it ain't green or blue and it's not meant to be, stuff it.

Some things, of course, you really have to be careful with. But, you kinda know that, don't you?

Here's something that might surprise you...

Imagine that, last thing of an evening, you make a coffee, or hot chokky, with milk. You don't drink it all, so there's some left, in the morning.

It's gonna be rank, right?

Not if you boiled the milk in the microwave. (For a mugfull, Heat for 90 seconds, stir briskly and microwave for another 90 seconds). Irradiated food, as THEY call it, lasts much longer.

'course, whether it's as healthy as this mob claim, I'll leave to your better judgement...

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/irradiated-food

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
I've not tried that, but I think I might, when I feel the urge to experiment.
Yep, common sense is handy for checking out foods that are used after the 'use by date', and have found that even my blue top milk can go a few days past the date, and chucked if it gets lumpy in my tea, and turned to sour yogurt.... ;D

Since I am Type 2 Diabetes (I was told this after a blood test back in 2007), and now apparently have gastric ulcers.....deep joy.........discovered after an endoscopy, and recently a CT scan, I have to find ways to eat/drink stuff, that won't make my blood sugars explode.
Looking on a UK diabetes forum, I find people drink coffee with cream.
So I bought a small tub of single cream to try out, and whoopy-doo, it doesn't seem to affect my BS readings at all.
I have 1/2 tsp of white sugar in coffee, none in tea, and use full fat, artery busting blue top milk.......I dislike that gnats piss of green top and red top milk......waste of time.
Anyway, I have to see a very nice but rather strict Nurse every few weeks, who is bullying me into changing my habits and diet.
I have found that bacon, scrambled eggs and cherry tom's (if I have any) is filling at lunch time, and keeps the readings low...........for me they are low, but a bit higher than they should be.
Still I am making progress.... :hungry1:

Nice thread drift eh ?

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
Tate and Lyle do a half-and-half thing, with sugar and stevia. The brown version's great, in coffee and chokky. Silver Spoon do a white version, called Half-Spoon (You use half the amount of sugar). I've got used to the taste. now.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
Not noticed that....thanks for the tip.
I have looked at artificial sweeteners, but don't fancy them, and not looked at the ingredients, but I suspect they are quite long.....and expensive too.
I used to use brown because I thought that the taste in coffee was a bit nicer, and that it was better than white.
But, it seems it is not that much better, and have run out of it anyway.. ;D

I have cut back on choccy bars, cakes, any sweets (candy to the Yanks), crisps (but I like Walkers cheese&onion...darn it), and other sweet stuff to virtuallly hardly any.

Life now seems to be a constant battle between good and evil foods.... ;D

The trouble is, evil foods usually taste better... :hungry1:

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
The two I mentioned taste as close to sugar as I've found. Only problem with the brown stuff is that the only place I've ever seen it, was in Waitrose. It's more expensive than sugar, by a bit. But, as you only use half the amount, it works out cheaper. :)

Funny... now that I've got used ti those, the real stuff tastes a bit weird.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
I just used to use the Demerara sugar in the Coop, and its not too expensive for a smallish bag of it.........I find it gives the coffee a nicer taste from white sugar.
I still only have near enough a flat tsp of it.

I must try the other sugars you have mentioned... :hat3:

Offline Brains

• Barfly
Yep frequently here x
Brains aka Donna xXx

Checkout my crafting blog: http://smileycrafter.blogspot.com/