Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 10, 18, 05:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104111
  • Total Topics: 11535
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (Oct 30, 18, 08:49 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8
Total: 8

Themes

Author Topic: Surely not...  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh

Offline Langston

• I am the only person in the world who is exactly the same as everybody else.
  • Barfly
  • 鶏が道路を渡ったのはなぜでしょう
    • Clangston at DeviantArt
Re: Surely not...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 18, 03:17 PM »
Apart from the carpet sweeper, I loved using them as they were quicker to use for small areas and less fussy and noisy than a vacuum cleaner, most of the rest were pretty useless even back then.... IMHO obviously.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 18, 10:42 AM »
Ah that brings back some memories, especially the 'Teas Made' and the push/pull carpet sweeper, which was light, no need to plug it in to the mains, and handy to whizz over carpets etc., and much cheaper that the electrickery jobbies which were noisy...... ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 18, 12:44 PM »
We also had a carpet sweeper, a wringer washing machine which we only just got rid of, & I've donated the old carpet shampooer & floor polisher. I bought a new electric shampooer recently & a frost free refrigerator. The old bar radietors have also nearly disappeared, but then vinyl records are making a comeback. Money will be the next to go in place of cards etc.  ::)

Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 18, 11:09 AM »
Ah yes, I remember the meat grinder thing to make mince meat, where I had to wind round the handle, and at the time, though it fun.
No fridge until late 50's when we got our first fridge, and huge tall thing with a big door and hefty handle on the front. I think it was made by Frigidaire.
There was a pantry and any joints of meat was put in a 'meat safe' fixed to the wall outside the kitchen, which was just a steel mesh cage to keep the flies out.
There was a washing machine, with I think a mangle on it, so mum had to fish out the washing one by one to put through the mangle to removed as much water as she could, and then it was put on a rack hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen to dry off.

Today of course we have the modern stuff like most people, and since our kitchen floor is covered in some hard wearing stuff, she has one of these steam pad cleaners to whizz over it.

All these kitchen appliances are a mystery to me, except the cooker, kettle and microwave, but things that do the washing, and drying on wet days, are beyond my capabilites, so leave all that to 'she who must be obeyed'.... :yup:

I still have some LP's and 45's in a box somewhere in the loft that date back to the 60's, like the Beetles -Sgt Pepper's band, the Rolling Stones and a few others..........but no record player though.

Happy days....

I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 50
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 18, 03:53 PM »
We had a 'meat safe' I remember it clearly, it was on the back of the shed near the back door and if I was a bit too energetic on my swing I hit my head on it  :sh:
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 18, 11:13 PM »
Yes I remember grandma's meat keeper, she used to put a wet towel over it to keep it cool.

We still have our old kreisler radiogram for the old records & a smaller record player also.

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 18, 12:21 PM »
I remember keeping milk outside, in a bucket of cold water, in the shade.

Apparently, oop here, the ladies were always polishing their doorsteps, which I find odd.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 18, 12:06 AM »
You wouldn't keep it cool in the shade here except in winter.

We have red gum wooden doorsteps here, the stain or varnish wears off in the centre but they last a lifetime.

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 18, 11:08 AM »
Ah yes, the days of the milk man leaving your milk on the doorstep, and when getting it find that the dickie birds had pecked away at the foil top to get at the cream.
Then there were the dust men, who actually went into your property to collect the steel bin, carry it on their shoulders to tip into the hatch on the rubbish truck, and then put it back from whence it came.
They usually leaved a bit of a trail of rubbish on the way though if the lid was not closed properly.
Now, we have to do all the carting about to the pavement and back, and they keep an eye on what's in your bin - green or black - and leave it still full, with a note on it to say I have fallen foul of some rule..

But the 50's were good (I think), and I think the only thing we had to worry about was Polio, and maybe Mumps.
Catching chicken pox or measles was just a nice way of getting off from going to school for a couple of weeks or thereabouts. Not nice at the time, but soon healed up, and out and about until it was time to go back to school.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 18, 11:28 PM »
And there was the toilet pan collector who came up the back lane with horse & cart & some unlucky fellas would have the pan break & get covered in the stuff.  :eek2:

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 18, 10:57 AM »
Ooooh, how uncivilised !!

But times were a lot different back then especially out in whoop-whoop I guess..
I remember when I went to the land down under for the first time in 1972 (compassionate leave when my Dad died out there), and saw an outside 'dunny', (when we visited a Dam somewhere around Brisbane...can't remember where now) because I wanted a pee, and then saw a fekking great big fat hairy spider with a body size about the same as a golf ball chilling out on his/her web in the door way........I nearly ran back to England at a high rate of  knots too  :eek2: :eek2: :bolt:

Still, it amused my brother and sister back then, but I made do with a nice bush a few suitable yards away, whilst they nearly pee'd themselves laughing at this pommy wimp... :yup:

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 18, 10:45 PM »
Friends of ours were camping down the coast & we were visiting them as they were preparing to head home;
I went to the toilet there & there was a big huntsman spider behind the door which was harmless, so I knew she had a phobia & warned her,
she wouldn't go to the toilet at all after hearing that.  :eek2:

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 18, 02:35 PM »
 ;D  The one I saw was not as big as a Huntsman spider, but fat and hairy enough to shock my bladder into lifelessness, and it took a while in some bushes to get it working again..... :yup:

But those Huntsman's are huge, and have seen them on YT videos in peoples houses, but in the safety of being behind the sofa thousands of miles away.... ;D

Much like when I watched Steve Irwin, kissing an Inland Taipan.......... :eek2: :bolt:

This of course was before he got stabbed in the chest by that damned Stingray......R.I.P.
Great chap, and great series too.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 18, 09:22 PM »
I used to have a pet tarantula. He was rather sweet, truth be told. Loved being stroked,

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 18, 07:20 AM »
Bet you didn't kiss him though.  ;D

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 18, 09:40 AM »
I wouldn't bet on it.  :gig:
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 18, 10:44 AM »
Er, no. Even I couldn't be that daft.

You knew when he was getting angry, though, coz he glowed red.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 18, 01:44 PM »
Er, no. Even I couldn't be that daft.

You knew when he was getting angry, though, coz he glowed red.

All over ?  :pa

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 18, 03:12 PM »
It would be the growling that would put me off, never mind it turning red.... :o ;D

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #20 on: Nov 06, 18, 11:01 AM »
Just his main body bit. His thorax? There's a bony bit, which looks rather like a shield. That bit.

He loved cuddling.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #21 on: Nov 06, 18, 09:46 PM »
He sounds adorable,  ;D

how did you catch food for him ?

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 18, 02:25 PM »
I got him crickets, from the pet shop. :)

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 18, 10:25 PM »
That would fill him up.  ;D

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #24 on: Nov 08, 18, 01:33 PM »
It was interesting, watching him catch them and wrap them in a kind of cocoon of web, to kind of store them, for when he got the munchies.

I doubt any arachnophobes would agree, but I always found him to be rather cute.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #25 on: Nov 08, 18, 10:19 PM »
I could never kill a huntsman, they are so placid, but no qualms about redbacks & whitetails.  ;)

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #26 on: Nov 09, 18, 10:36 AM »
Yeah... The tarantula has something of a reputation, but I'd guess that some of the spiders that you have, over there, are well worth avoiding and maybe worth that reputation, aren't they?

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #27 on: Nov 09, 18, 06:13 PM »
for when he got the munchies.

Your spider liked skunk?

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #28 on: Nov 09, 18, 09:22 PM »
Your spider liked skunk?

Yes, the trapdoor is another one to avoid.  :pa

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #29 on: Nov 10, 18, 12:03 PM »
I remember when I visited Brisbane many years ago, and stayed at my Mothers house.
Outside there were a load of dead leaves blown up against the outside wall by the wind.
Mother asked me to clear the leaves away, and being rather scared and startled, I said 'What ? NO way as I don't know what's lurking in them !'

She called me a wuss, and other kind words of encouragement, and went back inside.

Feeling shamed, I got the rake and collected them up (using gloves, but they didn't look very protective), and put them in a composter or something.

But, nothing jumped out at me, bit me, chewed my leg off or any of the other things the wild life in Oz can dish out.... :blush:

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #30 on: Nov 10, 18, 10:40 PM »
Well I have redbacks amongst my pots etc. but don't wear gloves & have never been bitten, it's knowing how to handle things really.  ;)

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #31 on: Nov 11, 18, 09:57 PM »
Your spider liked skunk?

The smell of weed never seemed to bother him. Maybe that's why he was so mellow. ;)

The point 'vonne made, about her knowing how to handle things, made me chuckle, though. Not that I have a dirty mind, normally...

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #32 on: Nov 12, 18, 09:58 AM »
Funny that Kat, my mind synced with yours for a moment there..... :yup:

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #33 on: Nov 12, 18, 11:10 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #34 on: Nov 12, 18, 09:12 PM »
Typical males.  ::)  ;)

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #35 on: Nov 13, 18, 11:16 AM »
That'd be me.  ;D

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
« Reply #36 on: Nov 13, 18, 09:17 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #37 on: Nov 14, 18, 11:17 AM »
We can't hep it Yvonne, since our mothers produced us, with a bit of help from my Dad, so I blame women.........for being too darned attractive....no, I did not have naughty thoughts about my mother either, only others, and their daughters......... ;D :bolt: