Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 14, 18, 01:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104043
  • Total Topics: 11520
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (Oct 30, 18, 08:49 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14

Themes

Author Topic: Thunderbolt 3 cables....  (Read 205 times)

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Thunderbolt 3 cables....
« on: Oct 21, 18, 06:11 PM »
My Gigabyte motherboard is Thunderbolt 3 capable, with a USB-C port on the IO plate at the back, plus another one if I wire up the box (same size as a DVD drive) which would give me another USB-C front port, and some more USB 3 ports.
However I am trying to figure out if I can run at least one of my two monitors from the rear plate, where to get them, with a Display port on one end and the USB-C on the other.
So far all I find is bloody Apple cables....... ::)

I have the facility to run this, but not sure how to use it on a proper computer, and not some Apple horror........... ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
Re: Thunderbolt 3 cables....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 18, 01:34 PM »
[/me] goes off to find out WTF a Thunderbolt 3 is...

Sounds like something they've given a butch name to, when it's really girlie...

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 18, 10:56 AM »
From what I can gather, they are type C USB connectors and cables, to run Monitors and other stuff, and it doesn't matter which way up you plug them in to the socket, unlike USB which only plug in one way.

Apparently:

Computer ports with Thunderbolt 3 provide 40Gbps Thunderbolt double the speed of the previous generation, USB 3.1 10Gbps, and DisplayPort 1.2. For the first time, one computer port connects to Thunderbolt devices, every display, and billions of USB devices. In Thunderbolt mode, a single cable now provides four times the data and twice the video bandwidth of any other cable, while supplying power. Its unrivaled for new uses, such as 4K video, single-cable docks with charging, external graphics, and built-in 10 GbE networking. Simply put, Thunderbolt 3 delivers the best USB-C.

My Gigabyte motherboard is Thunderbolt 3 compatible, or would be if I installed the drivers, and was just wondering how to make use of it.
It has the Type C socket on the rear IO, and if I install a black box about the size of a CD/DVD drive, which has more USB 3.0 sockets and another type C socket.
But the box is still in my spare parts cupboard, unused.
I might fit it one day.... ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 18, 12:18 PM »
Ha! Remember when FireWire was the next big thing?

Never had one of those, either.
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 18, 09:52 PM by Kat »

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 18, 02:58 PM »
Ah yes, I remember that, and like you, never used it.

Yep, and eSata, my board came equipped with that, and the cable is tied up inside the case, and never had the tiniest bit of data through it.
I just progress from flat 40 pin flat cables, to Sata, and that was a huge convenience for having less cable clutter in the chassis...

Offline Casper the Ghost

• I wonder what this button does . . . . .
  • Barfly
  • Livin on the Dark Side
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 18, 05:45 PM »
Firewire is actually very, very good and is probably the technology that realy should have caught on more than it did.

I have an external hard drive that runs USB2 or Firewire and I always use it connected to Firewire because it is just faster, simple as that.
Now what should I put here?? Let me have a think.....

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 18, 09:53 PM »
USB 3's faster, though, innit?