Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 13, 18, 12:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104111
  • Total Topics: 11535
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (Oct 30, 18, 08:49 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12

Themes

Author Topic: forum changing  (Read 102 times)

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
forum changing
« on: Nov 09, 18, 06:32 AM »
As many of you will know SMF hasn't been updated in a very long time. SMF 2 does not work with modern PHP versions. ( 7.2 or higher and has major problems on 7.0 & 7.1) SMF only reliably works on PHP 5.6. Now PHP 5.6 becomes fully end of life in December 2018 with no further security fixes, so continuing to use it carries extremely high risks as new exploits are discovered or previously unreleased ones are released.
I am not prepared to take the risk on this server.

I am going to try a different forum software https://vanillaforums.com/en/software/ and see how it goes
I am not 100% sure when I will install the new software & then move everything over
Hopefully there won't be any major problems in doing it, but there is a risk of the forums being down for few days while it happens.

There will obviously be some changes, but hopefully existing logins & passwords will transfer over OK

I will endeavour to let everyone know before hand

What I will probably do is create the new forum in a subfolder & get it working with existing posts & membership details, once I am happy. I will then put the existing forum in maintenance mode & do a final export and then redirect the domain to the new address.

Don't worry if you see error 500 or other errors, The new software only works on PHP 7.1 and higher and SMF 2.0 sometimes crashes or refuses to work on php 7.1, so beqar with me please

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 50
  • Kissy kissy...
Re: forum changing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 18, 06:11 PM »
Totally understand and agree Derek, pity that SMF hasn't been updated. I liked SMF and had a hand in developing Tinyportal but their time is now up. Let me know if you want any help with it.
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 18, 10:04 PM »
Considered Elkarte, DereK?

SMF's gone down the tubes, since I left, sadly. The current Project Manager is a complete bitch and those that knew what they were doing left when I did, for the most part.

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 18, 12:50 AM »
Thanks Kat, I will try Elkarte

Vanilla turned out to be a bit of a disaster and imports don't go well.

Elkarte looks good from the bumph. I will need to set up a test board & see how well imports go 

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 18, 11:09 AM »
Their team is made up of people I know, to a large degree, and they're still developing it. Sad to see SMF going tits-up, though.