Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jun 25, 19, 04:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104480
  • Total Topics: 11582
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 167
  • (Mar 31, 19, 11:42 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10

Themes

Author Topic: The Spirit of Christmas  (Read 337 times)

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 50
  • Kissy kissy...
The Spirit of Christmas
« on: Dec 20, 18, 06:33 PM »
I have a bit of a chubby on this evening because today I was able to participate in the true spirit of Christmas.

Why?

Because along with other like minded people I helped to provided breakfast this morning for anyone who wanted it and to cook a Christmas dinner for circa 40 peeps, again for anyone who wanted it, at the Salvation Army centre in Carmarthen. Add to this my wife Julie, she was up at their pop up shop in the town centre where they were selling donated goods, in an empty building given free for the Sally Army to use for the run up to Christmas. From this shop they distributed food parcels and donated toys to deserving people and families.

We will be back again on the 27th to provide breakfast and lunch.

What I like about this is that the SA at Carmarthen do not judge those who request help and neither do they judge those who want to help. I am not the only atheist volunteer and there is also have a Muslim volunteer.

This is the true spirit of giving and Julie and I are proud to be part of it.
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Re: The Spirit of Christmas
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 18, 10:54 AM »
I salute you Obblie Sir, for you and Julie to go the extra mile at Christmas time, to help others.

I in my own way sometimes like to help someone who I feel needs it.
Like a woman in front of me who went to pay and then found that she did not have her purse with her, and got into a fluster because of this.
So I said I would pay for her shopping, about 29 (which I could really afford especially as I still had to pay for mine,), and she was most grateful, and did protest that I shouldn't.
Anyway, if I was conned, well that's down to me, but at the time it felt right to help her.

Another time I was behind another girl waiting to pay for my diesel, and again she couldn't find the 10 to pay for her petrol, also again rather flustered, so I paid for that too, and then my own.
Maybe I got conned again, but I felt happy enough about doing it.

Mistakes or a con, I will never know.... ;D

But, you kind deeds I hope will give you a warm and fuzzy feeling inside, and well done... :hat3:

I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 18, 10:39 AM »
Thank you Baron  :hat3:
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 18, 12:07 PM »
Great community work Obblie, :tup:

it gives you that fuzzy feeling to see the happiness on their faces.

I wish you & Julie a very Merry Christmas.  :juice:
Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 18, 06:59 PM »
Thank you Yvonne, I do have to admit to having a fuzzy, a feeling that I have given back to society some of what other peeps in society have given to me over the past.

We were there on the 27th and will be back on the 3rd.

Julie is particularly happy because she started to volunteer first and that I have now joined her.

I do have to say that I particularly like us as a couple volunteering as we work so well together.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 19, 02:46 PM »
That is a lucky marriage Obblie, so that both of you can work together for the same aims, and, get along together very nicely too... :hat3:
Not always happily achieved unfortunately.... ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 19, 11:17 AM »
Good stuff, Oblles! We used to do that kind of thing, when we were dahn sahf. Now, sadly, we're just not up to it. :(

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 19, 11:15 PM »
You do sound like you make a great team Obblie :tup:

I have only volunteered in the local genealogy library for a number of years in the past & Tony used to do favours for neighbours & odd jobs for the RSL when he was able.

I don't have the energy for extra work these days, but do favours for neighbours when they're away.  ;)

Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS