Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 20, 19, 09:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104610
  • Total Topics: 11595
  • Online Today: 26
  • Online Ever: 167
  • (Mar 31, 19, 11:42 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19

Themes

Author Topic: More FaceBook privacy controversy  (Read 422 times)

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
More FaceBook privacy controversy
« on: Dec 31, 18, 06:34 AM »
https://privacyinternational.org/campaigns/investigating-apps-interactions-facebook-android
Privacy International has been investigating the proliferation of data tracking, brokerage and exchange between many tech companies, both as their primary business as well as value added services.

Facebook routinely tracks users, non-users and logged-out users outside its platform through Facebook Business Tools. App developers share data with Facebook through the Facebook Software Development Kit (SDK), a set of software development tools that help developers build apps for a specific operating system. Using the free and open source software tool called "mitmproxy", an interactive HTTPS proxy, Privacy International has analyzed the data that a number of Android apps transmit to Facebook through the Facebook SDK.

Key findings
We found that at least 61 percent of apps we tested automatically transfer data to Facebook the moment a user opens the app. This happens whether people have a Facebook account or not, or whether they are logged into Facebook or not.
We also found that some apps routinely send Facebook data that is incredibly detailed and sometimes sensitive. Again, this concerns data of people who are either logged out of Facebook or who do not have a Facebook account.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Re: More FaceBook privacy controversy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 19, 02:59 PM »
I used to use FB many years ago, just to play some games, and had many 'friends' on my list, ones who I needed to help play say Farmville for example, apart from that, I didn't have a clue who they were.
My friends list has been deeply pruned since then, and only immediate family and a few friends are on the list now.

Mainly because daughter No. 1 and family live in Franceland, and son No. 2 lives with his wife in Portland Oregon - originally in Irvine Ca., and moved to Portland last year for a better job, and also his wife who is a school teacher.
So I only use it now when notified,  to view some photo's he has taken, and ones from my daughter as well, and that's about it.

My profile (or whatever it is called) is just a made up list of crap cleaned from the drop down menus offered to fill in details, and apparently I live in one country, but work in another, and also went to school in some country, and university in another one...........I do get around a bit.... ;D

Anyway, I am not at all worried about someone trying to take advantage of my details..... ;D

I also do not need, or, have a use for any other anti-social media sites either.
I don't own a smart phone, as I use a cheapo PAYG one, with about 10 top up on it, which lasts me for years (as long as I phone the talking clock or something to keep it active every few months), so it is just used to show the time (no watch with a working battery), and make the occasional phone call to ask the wife what the heck was I supposed to get in Tesco or somewhere. A text maybe once a year as well.

I have a landline for phone calls, and my PC for emails, banking surfing and watching films/TV shows, playing a game online,  and that's about it.... ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
Re: More FaceBook privacy controversy
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 19, 11:16 AM »
I don't see the point, myself. I'd've thought that you'd know they were harvesting your data, right from the start! Not mine, though. :) I have an Android tablet, but all I ever use is an e-reader and I have a firewall blocking absolutely everything. So, they'll not be getting much out of me!