Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Mar 24, 19, 09:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104298
  • Total Topics: 11558
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (Oct 30, 18, 08:49 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12

Themes

Author Topic: USB3 port issue  (Read 120 times)

Offline Langston

• I am the only person in the world who is exactly the same as everybody else.
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • 鶏が道路を渡ったのはなぜでしょう
    • Clangston at DeviantArt
USB3 port issue
« on: Jan 27, 19, 05:38 PM »
The USB(3.0) ports on my PC appear to be running at USBv2 speeds. This is a real PITA when it comes to backing up. They ran much faster up to a few months ago. I've only just got round to trying to do something about it.

I've tried checking for driver updates but am informed that the latest drivers are already installed.
I notice the drivers are all dated 2006, which obviously predates USB3. No idea if that is relevant or not.
Thank you for any assitance on this one,Your Friend, John.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Re: USB3 port issue
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 19, 05:37 PM »
Sorry mate, as I have no idea.
My problem with Win 7 which I currently use, that on boot up to the desktop, I keep getting a message that one of my USB devices, all USB3/3.1, (the USB ports on my motherboard are either USB 3 or USB 3.1.......however I do use a Phanteks USB 2 device that offers more USB ports, as there isn't enough extra ones on the board. It is fixed internally, so easier to cable up, but do have some USB 2 and 3 ports on top of the case,...............confused ?...so am I)........ needs more power, and to plug it in to a better port.
But, it never tells me which device is playing up, so that message is not very helpful.
But, all USB devices work..............so I don't know what it is making a fuss about....... ::)
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 19, 03:49 PM »
Copying from USB can get ridiculous, sadly. I found that using something like FastCopy is way faster than Explorer does it. However, you might find changing this helps... (If your OS has these options).

Plug in the USB drive.
Right click on the drive's icon and select "Properties".
Click the "Hardware" tab.
Highlight the USB flash drive.
Click the "Properties" thingy.
Under the General tab, click "Change Settings".
Click the "Policies tab".
Select "Better performance" and click OK.

You can, also, highlight the drive in Device Manager and select "Properties", there. Under the "Policies" tab, you'll see the options "Quick removal" and "Better performance". You can pay your money and take your choice, with those. I have mine set for quick removal, coz I've known drives get screwed, with the other option (Not mine, thankfully).

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 19, 11:19 AM »
I will try this next time I boot up the PC, and get the pop up saying Windows does not recognise some USB device, but won't tell me which one is causing it pain.
I did check 'device manager' but no yellow warnings against USB devices.

Thanks for the tips..
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.