Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Feb 16, 19, 06:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104263
  • Total Topics: 11554
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (Oct 30, 18, 08:49 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9

Themes

Author Topic: interesting story about electric cars..  (Read 103 times)

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
interesting story about electric cars..
« on: Jan 15, 19, 11:17 AM »
Sounds reasonable to me. It's a bit long, so make a coffee/tea/brandy, make your self comfy and off you go.
It's American (not corrected the spelling... ;D), but it probably makes sense here.

THE PINEHURST PRESS NEWS & VIEWS

BY T J & WEBB--Interesting Take on Electric Cars

As an engineer I love the electric vehicle technology.

However, I have been troubled for a longtime by the fact that the electrical energy to keep the batteries charged has to come from the grid and that means more power generation and a huge increase in the distribution infrastructure.

Whether generated from coal, gas, oil, wind or sun, installed generation capacity is limited.

You should all take a look at this short article.

IF ELECTRIC CARS DO NOT USE GASOLINE, THEY WILL NOT PARTICIPATE IN PAYING A GASOLINE TAX ON EVERY GALLON THAT IS SOLD FOR AUTOMOBILES, WHICH WAS ENACTED SOME YEARS AGO TO HELP TO MAINTAIN OUR ROADS ANDBRIDGES.

THEY WILL USE THE ROADS, BUT WILL NOT PAY FOR THEIR MAINTENANCE!

In case you were thinking of buying hybrid or an electric car:

Ever since the advent of electric cars, the REAL cost per mile of those things has never been discussed.

All you ever heard was the mpg in terms of gasoline, with nary a mention of the cost of electricity to run it .

This is the first article I've ever seen and tells the story pretty much as I expected it to.

Electricity has to be one of the least efficient ways to power things yet they're being shoved down our throats.

Glad somebody finally put engineering and math to paper.

At a neighborhood BBQ I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro executive.

I asked him how that renewable thing was doing.

He laughed, then got serious.

If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, he pointed out, you had to face certain realities.

For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service.

The average house is equipped with 100 amp service.

On our small street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a single Tesla, each.

For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded.

This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles.

Our residential infrastructure cannot bear the load.

So as our genius elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are we being urged to buy these things and replace our reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive, new windmills and solar cells, but we will also have to renovate our entire delivery system! 

This latter "investment" will not be revealed until we're so far down this dead end road that it will be presented with an 'OOPS...!' and a shrug.

If you want to argue with a green person over cars that are eco-friendly, just read the following.

Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine."  Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery.

So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.

It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph.

Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours.

In a typical road trip your average speed (including chargingtime) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity.

It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.

The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned, so I looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg.  $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car costs about $20,000 while the Volt costs $46,000 plus.

So the American Government wants loyal Americans not todo the math, but simply pay three times as much for a car, that costs more than seven times as much to run, and takes three times longer to drive across the country.

I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline handy

• Regular
  • Bogle Points: 0
Re: interesting story about electric cars..
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 19, 05:29 PM »
just had my Dyson hoover repaired today , and the engineer said Dyson are making an electric car due out 2020 don't know how true it is .

:cvan:
If there was a tax on brains, i would get a rebate.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 19, 07:35 PM »
I don't fancy one of these electrickery cars, as I don't trust them. I am guessing that if I needed a new/recon engine for my little Skoda, it would be cheaper than having to buy a new battery pack for one of these things.
How do you get on with your Dyson, is it any good at picking up dust and other crap, and has it been reliable ?
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline handy

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 19, 09:51 PM »
Had a Dyson ball for 4 years . engineer been out today as it would not stop upright ( think it was me  :lipsx:) ordered a part and coming back to fit it plus new brush bar and  dust canister all for free as they have a fiver year warranty. Also have a V6 handheld he fitted new batteries  for me that cost 60  but is the going rate but you get a years warranty , that was out as hand held only get 2 year warranty and batteries.
They do carry most parts including new machines to sell if you want one and price is same a Currys etc 
If there was a tax on brains, i would get a rebate.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 19, 11:19 AM »
Glad you have had a good experience and good customer service. That makes up for a lot.
We just settled for some Panasonic machine which was cheaper about 3 years ago, and seems to do the job, and so far, so good...... :)

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 19, 12:08 PM »
I got a bright orange Vax, in about 1978. Still got it and it works perfectly!  :juice:

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 19, 06:49 PM »
Yeah I have one of those in my shed. I large version of the Henry style, like the old tin dustbin on castors, which can suck up water and stuff, and use it to vacuum the car, unless I take it down to the Polish car wash chaps, who do an excellent job of cleaning it.
 But indoors, it is an upright thingy that makes a noise, and helps the wife pick up dust and stuff around the house, and that's all I know about it....... ;D

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 19, 08:29 PM »
That's the one! I have a diddy Hoover, too, which I bought in 1986. Cheap'n'cheerful, but always worked a treat. I've never understood why people shell out hundreds on a Dyson, when a cheapie will do the job just as well, at a fraction of the cost. Plus, being a good Tory Brexiteer, Dyson's moved most of his operation abroad...

Cause the ship to sink and fuck off, before it actually sinks.

Tosser.