Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 22, 19, 09:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104374
  • Total Topics: 11566
  • Online Today: 19
  • Online Ever: 167
  • (Mar 31, 19, 11:42 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8
Total: 8

Themes

Author Topic: Recognise this, Roy?  (Read 235 times)

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
Recognise this, Roy?
« on: Mar 03, 19, 07:13 PM »

It's this, now, apparently.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Re: Recognise this, Roy?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 19, 02:49 PM »
Ummm, no, I don't think I do....some where on my Island?
If so, then I must explore this..... ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 19, 03:20 PM »
It was Bembridge station. It's now that block of flats.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bembridge/index.shtml

I seem to recall you living nearby.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 19, 04:40 PM »
Thanks for that pic Kat, I shall look at that link later, as I rather like old pictures of the Island.........especially when we had a proper working railway system.
Bembridge....not quite, in my early days were at St Lawrence (in-between Ventnor and Niton) , with the station behind a group of houses where I lived.
We put some pennies on the lines on the last run of the train before being closed in 1952 (I think), we we went home with flattened pennies, lost years ago.
 The station buildings and bit of the platform are now someones house. The track way has been filled in to the level of the old platform.
St Lawrence was a great place to live back then, not far from the cliffs and beaches, also the radar station still with flying barrage balloons, and started off with some mobile lorries. Anyway, story here:   http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/s/st_lawrence_remote_reserve/index.shtml

Then we moved to Ventnor in the early 50's to live down on Bonchurch shore, history here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonchurch, and a couple of pictures from 1960.
Behind us up on top of Boniface downs, was another radar station, and my older mate had a Triton motorbike, Triumph engine on a Norton frame, and did my first 'ton up' along the road their.......and nearly had poopy pants too....but fun... ;D

The radar station as it was:   http://www.ventnorradar.co.uk/CH.htm
and being bombed.

I bet you wished you had never posted that picture eh?    ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 19, 05:31 PM by Baron »
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 19, 06:02 PM »

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 19, 01:42 PM »
Yep before Beeching, just about the whole Island was covered by a railway network, with many terminals situated in towns, so just a quick walk to the shops.
The closure meant that many people without their own transport, were a bit stuffed at getting about, but, there was a slower Vectis bus service.
It also meant more lorries on the roads, because the trains used to tow freight goods direct into the towns, plus the other trains carrying passengers.

I used to like travelling on the old 'Puffing Billies', and to stick my head out of the window hoping to dodge a lump of soot into my eye, and usually managed to avoid them. Plus I loved the smell of the engines when up close, for the smell of the oil and steam, and to hear them gently chuffing when at a station, either on the Island, or looking at engines when waiting for my train at Waterloo Station.

The I came back to the Island for a visit some years later, and much disappointment to see not steam trains, but just some rickety old ex London tube train, that rattled and clanked along it journey.
Bloody awful thing.
I believe tube trains where chosen because their wheel gauge, they would fit on the tracks.

But thanks for the link, and I think it is one that I have missed, when looking around for videos of those times.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 19, 09:53 PM »
I believe I saw one of those old tube trains, on my one visit to the IOW. If I remember rightly, it was blue? Or had the then BR livery? Must've been... ooo... 1978?

That Beeching stuff was a disaster. The (Tory, obviously) transport minister was one Ernie Marples. He and his wife owned a road construction company, so closing the railways was done with the aim of lining his pockets, which it did, majestically.

Wanker.

In this neck of the woods, they're reopening a lot of the lines that got buggered, coz the roads are too clogged. Wanky light rail/metro/tram platforms with tiddly little bus shelters, instead of the decent buildings they trashed.

'course, the silly bastard closed, mainly, the north-south lines, leaving the east-west ones. Problem is, there's no way of connecting with the lines, now, unless you go right into Manchester or Liverpool and go out, again.

So short-sighted, all that, especially as that old witch Barbara Castle could've stopped the crap, when Labour got in, but didn't. Politicians don't look at the big picture, coz governments only last for four years, so the future doesn't bother them, especially as their loaded and all right, Jack.

Again, wankers.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 19, 11:07 AM »
Agreed.
I think the main railway line we have now, is Ryde, Brading, Sandown, Lake and Shanklin.
Then there is the The Isle of Wight Steam Railway, which has about 5.5 miles of track between Wootton - Smallbrook, and 'read all about it' here: https://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/
When my brother was over a couple of years ago on a 'down memory lane' holdiay, went went to the Haven Street station, and had a ride on it.
It was fun having a good snoot over the little engine, gently puffing away, and had a good look and smell..... :)
They also served real ale on a stall at the station too... :beer2:

Yep, my St Lawrence station shut in 1952, when I were just a nipper of 6 years old coming up to the grand old age of 7 yrs.... ;D

I can't remember the colour of the tube I went on, but vaguely remember it was red, and yes, ex BR stock, and must admit I was very disappointed at seeing what I was about to have a ride on, and I didn't know that the steam engines had all be scrapped. Been away from the Island for far too long.
The date? It could well have been about 1978.

Anyway, all my fond memories of riding the trains were over.

It was only much later in life when I found out what had happened, so a journey to some of the towns was much longer, as I had to ride on a bus.

But many of the railway tracks have been ripped up, and turned into cycle tracks, path ways etc., so no chance of them ever being used as a railway again.
Ventnor station, the tunnel under Boniface downs is I believe about 1,312 yards long, or 1,200 M if you speak foreign.
I remember getting on and off the train at the Station when coming home on leave/going back to England, on the passenger MV ferry from Ryde Pier Head, on what used to be called the Red Funnel ferry, because it had a red BR funnel.... ;D
Not to be confused with the Red Funnel Ferries running between Cowes and Soton.

This is how it used to be in my day:

Now the tunnel is used for Southern Water to run a water pipe through it, and I believe at the Ventnor end, they grow mushrooms in it, and most of the railway yard is now built over with industrial units.

So I used to get off there, and then walk down to home on Bonchurch Shore, or if pisking down with rain, get a bus towards Ventnor, and then walk home from there.

All I know now is that Beeching buggered up our railway network, and as you say, that silly old bat Barbar Castle did sod all to put things right.

But many people here would like to see some of the railway system restored, especially for the visitors during the summer months............I mean who wouldn't want to come here for steam train rides?
I know we do have the one steam railway, which is always in use in summer, but it would be an even better draw if more lines were re-opened, as I mean, people come here because of our red squirrel population, so why not more places to travel to via steam trains?
It would take some of those bloody charabancs off the roads, cars tugging their garden sheds etc., so the roads would be less cluttered I reckon... :)
Then I could get around that bit easier..... ;D

But it of course would need tons of money to lay out, and to attract investors, but I doubt it will ever happen.

I grew up with steam trains, and was very disappointed when they changed to diesel electric, soul destroying ones, as looking around at various types of engines waiting at a platform, it seemed they had a life in them.
Diesel electric are just dull and lifeless, and seen one, then I have seen them all.

I believe you like steam trains, or someone here does?

OK, I have waffled on enough..............for now.  ;D

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 19, 10:00 PM »
I like them, yeah. More alive than the others. I like the old infrastructure, though. Today, we just get bus-shelters, instead of proper stations.

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 50
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 19, 09:40 AM »
I like them as well, that is why Julie and I are building an OO gauge layout set in the early 1950's around the time we were born, early BR logo, steam engines, nice buildings and semaphore signals.

We have just come back from a holiday in Cornwall, went down by train, stayed in an Old Luggage Van, which was right by the St Germans station platform and went for days out by train. Lots of heritage railways in Cornwall. One thing that surprised us was the number of semaphore signals still in use on the main line to Penzance and not just on the heritage railways.
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 19, 01:05 PM »
Did you get to the Peco place, in Beer?

http://www.pecorama.co.uk

Offline Obblie

• The Cat Astrophe
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 50
  • Kissy kissy...
« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 19, 03:18 PM »
Not on this trip, but have been there. Their 71/4 gauge railway is the best that I've ever seen. Got my DCC controller from their shop.
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone". John Maynard Keynes

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 19, 06:00 PM »
On that B&E slide show video, to the left of the engine facing you, there are some caves dug into the rocks, which was where coal was stored, so basically a coal yard there.
It's all been flattened and is now an Industrial Estate there, and I image that the caves are still there too, maybe 'lock ups' or something.
When I went back to live on my Island again after all this happened, what with the tall radar towers being dismantled up above on the Downs, and no railway station, all my memories of those days went to dust.....like so many things that changed :'(
Some places are still as I knew them, but not many.......progress huh?  ;D