Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 22, 19, 02:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104533
  • Total Topics: 11585
  • Online Today: 19
  • Online Ever: 167
  • (Mar 31, 19, 11:42 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10

Themes

Author Topic: Fork of HijackThis.  (Read 185 times)

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
Re: Fork of HijackThis.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 19, 11:08 AM »
That name sounds familiar from days gone by.
I check this new version, and it sounds like it would be far to dangerous for me to meddle with.... :o ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 19, 11:59 AM »
Well, if you get any hassles, we can help, here. But, if you search for any dubious results you get, there're usually a few hits.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 19, 02:14 PM »
I will probably down load it for now, as I can't resist some software to play with, and then wish I hadn't..... :yup:
Still, I do have Win 7 cloned onto another SSD, so if I royally screw things up, I can just clone back the copy again, and all will be well again.
That's the theory anyway..
I hate formatting and reinstalling an OS, because it takes days, for Win 7, and seems like weeks for Win10 to get rid of all the crap than comes with Win10.
X Box, I don't own a fekking X Box.
Contacts? Nope.
Bluetooth? Nope.
Cloud? Nope.
Phone connections? Nope, don't use a mobile phone.
Plus all the other junk I have no use for, and unfortunately some of this junk I neither want or will ever use.
That's why I prefer Win 7, as it doesn't come cluttered up with all this crap.

Sorry, I have gone off on one again huh?........... ::) :yup:
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 19, 03:12 PM »
The tedious bit: Copy all the files from your C drive, manually, to another drive.

The margially less tedious bit: Every now and then, do the same, with the proviso of "Overwrite older files only" selected.

If your OS goes tits-up, reinstall, then copy all the files back.

I happen to keep all of my "Program files" on yet another drive (Just a bald OS on C) and copy those files to yet another one, in the same way. Last time I had a major fukkupTM it only took me a couple of hours to get back to as-was.

Luvvly-jubbly.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 19, 05:39 PM »
Hmmmm, thoughts...for me.
I just use Acronis True Image or, Ashampoo Backup Pro, and it think it takes about 30-40 minutes to do a complete system back up, which is fine if I need to pop into town for stuff, or just grab my little (crappy 10" Toshiba) laptop to watch something to pass the time away, also handy if I need something off the tinternet if I find new drivers or something, I can just download to the laptop, stick on a USB and then use it on my main PC.
I just find cloning is for me simple to use, as I am a simple person, that doesn't require too much attention to the settings etc., just select donor drive, then target drive, click and clone, and bugger off somewhere and select the PC to shut down once finished.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 19, 05:51 PM »
I tried Acronis. For some reason, it wouldn't recognise my USB drives. When I eventually tried it, it took the image and put it on a completely different drive from the one I'd selected and bolloxed everything up. So, never again.

The way I do it, I can still use the machine, whilst it's backing stuff up. :)

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 19, 10:37 AM »
Hmmmm, interesting....
I haven't had any trouble using my image backups onto a different drive.............so far.
I guess I could carry on using the PC when it is backing up to the chosen drive, but tend to just leave things alone until it is finished......just in case knowing my luck... ;D

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #8 on: Apr 12, 19, 10:53 AM »
It's a trust thing, I s'pose. I used to use a registry cleaner and it was great. Then, one day, it totally screwed up absolutely everything. Never used one, since. Most advice, on tech sites, say hat they're totally worthless. Although, I clean it out, manually, occasionally.

When Acronis screwed things, I thought it over and decided that manually copying everything over, using Total Commander, or similar, it was 100% reliable, so why fuck about? To make things a bit quicker, I've configured Total Commander to copy things with TeraCopy, as the Windows copy is painfully slow. Unstoppable copier's pretty quick, too. FastCopy's good, but I can't get it to copy individual files, just entire directories. 'course, it might be me...  :blush:

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 19, 05:42 PM »
I doubt it is you mate, as you know about these things.
I have Win 7 and Win 10 on discs, which I have converted to run on USB flash drives, as they are much quicker at copying the install files, when it is time to do a fresh install, which I hate doing..
I have heard of Total Commander, not of TeraCopy or the others.......time for me to have a look, and maybe fiddle sometime... ;D