Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 20, 19, 02:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104590
  • Total Topics: 11593
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 167
  • (Mar 31, 19, 11:42 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19

Themes

Author Topic: Not exactly a help question, more of why I like my ISP....  (Read 164 times)

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
For the past month or so I have had troubles on the internet, like grazing through some online news sites, I will be reading some story, and then page quits, and I get a page with DNS problems, and reload, or it does it itself. I will post something on a forum, and it takes ages for the post to show up, or I put a question into Google, and it takes a while for the answers to show up etc.,
 So I phoned my ISP office (free phone call, no annoying menu system) and a very pleasant woman answered, told her of my woes, and she said she has an idea of what the problem is. She checked my line, and told me that my router that I bought some years ago, because with my free upgrade from 30MB would be to 70MB, my current router would only be able to handle 50MB, so I could buy a new AIO router from them for 50, which I did.
Now these are now a bit out of date, and because I was a long standing customer, they would send out an engineer tomorrow afternoon, to replace my old one, with this new shiny one.....for free.
This is why I stick with Wightfibre, and dismiss all the adverts I get to change to BT, Talk Talk, Virgin etc., since I have been with them for some 19 years now, and like a fibre optic connection (from a box outside my house), rather than going back to the old copper lines via BT..... ;D
They have also offered me a new contract which will save me some 27/month too starting from June 1st.  ;D

That was the good news today, the bad was I have to have to have an MoT (booked for Saturday), and from previous 'advisories', I have a feeling that it will fail.............deep joy.  :'(
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
Re: Not exactly a help question, more of why I like my ISP....
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 19, 07:15 PM »
Update.
New shiny router fitted today, so previous DNS problems are now just a memory, and all works just fine.  :)
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 19, 10:33 AM »
They sound good! I have to confess that TalkTalk aren't quite as bad as I'd imagined. But, the bastards put the prices up at the same time that they took my webspace away.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 19, 10:58 AM »
Yep, been with Wightfibre for about 19 years now, ever since I saw the trenches being dug outside, then a lull, then the fibre optic cables getting laid, and shortly afterwards, the salesman came round to see if I was interested in signing up for him............he didn't have time to finish his sales talk, as I just grabbed the agreement and signed it.... ;D
Yep the new AIO router works just fine, and the internet is now nice and snappy again.

Oh, my little Skoda passed the MoT, with the usual 'advisories' that some repairs are needed on the suspension....rubber dust covers, although damaged are not letting in the dust and grit.........yet. Plus the brake discs and pads need renewing at some point.
So lucky me, this is the 3rd year now that I have got away with it, so another year to try and find enough money down the sides of the chairs and sofa.... ;D
All I got done last years, was to replace the 4 tyres, as apparently the side walls were cracking, so at least I got that problem off the list.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 19, 11:40 AM »
I'm glad we have a Jeep. No tax to pay, no insurance, no repairs.

Thanks, Motability!

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 19, 05:56 PM »
Yeah, my neighbours 2 doors down, he has got a nice new and shiny white Merc on this years plate. She has two Pug's soft tops, one of which is broken inside, so just take us much need parking on our road, but the other one works though.
But I don't think they are mobility jobs though.

I don't begrudge your Jeep, because you are a good egg..............not that keen on my near neighbours though.... :yup: