Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 16, 19, 01:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Search

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 104520
  • Total Topics: 11584
  • Online Today: 16
  • Online Ever: 167
  • (Mar 31, 19, 11:42 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9

Themes

Author Topic: Scam. At least, I hope it is...  (Read 198 times)

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Bogle Points: 0
  • Meh
Scam. At least, I hope it is...
« on: Jun 26, 19, 02:50 PM »
Got a call, today. It was a recorded thingy, with a voice very like the old 1930's BBC announcers had. It told me that it was from BT, telling my that my 'phone and internet would be disconnected, today, and to push whatever key for more info.

Naturally, I hung up.

I bet some'll fall for it, though.

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
Re: Scam. At least, I hope it is...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 19, 06:26 PM »
had loads of them. Some wiv a posh  man's voice & some wiv some scottish bint.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 19, 08:33 PM »
The daft thing is, I did a 1471 and they'd not hidden the number. So, I gave Action Fraud a ring (The website's too tortuous) and gave them the details. They're on it. Might be lucky enough to get them nicked. They got 'em, last time. :)

Offline Derek

• Being a nuisance
  • Landlord
  • Bogle Points: 45
    • Myonlinesecurity
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 19, 01:58 AM »
the numbers are normally spoofed. They come up on my display but are an innocent number. They use voip & are based abroad somewhere. If you do press the 1 to return the call you talk to the scammer ( normally Indian call centre) who will try to compromise the computer or "persuade" you to give credit card or bank details etc to pay the "outstanding " bill

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 19, 10:07 AM »
Might've been phun to string them along and spike their 'phone bill, then.

Shame.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 102
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 19, 10:41 AM »
Yep, I get them from 'BT' as well, which is a bit of a laugh since I don't use a BT line (I do have one, but never been used) for phone calls or internet, as I am on a direct fibre optic cable from my ISP in Cowes.....:)
Then there is also calls from HMRC, but have not been arrested.....yet for fraud.
Not once have I pressed '1' to sort things out.
I am normally stupid, but not that stupid.... ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 19, 01:19 AM »
I've had recorded messages from people claiming to be our Telstra & saying we'll be disconnected if we don't get connected to NBN within a week or so, I know we have until January,
so just hang up.
Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 19, 11:39 AM »
Yup, annoying aren't they?
I have been threatened to have my internet cut off withing 48 hours many times....and I am still here..... ;D
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Offline Yvonne

• Barfly
  • Bogle Points: 51
« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 19, 12:57 AM »
Glad you're still here.  ;D
Camera - Nikon - Coolpix P510

MORE PHOTOS

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 19, 10:58 AM »
 :hat3: :flowers: :flowers: :-* :flowers:

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #10 on: Jul 04, 19, 10:54 AM »
The funniest one, I think, was the one from "Microsoft's Windows department". I played dumb, for a while, trying to get their 'phone bill through the roof. In the end, I said that I was a Microsoft employee and that there was no Windows Department, I'd traced the call and they'd be hearing from Plod.

I wonder why they hung up...

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #11 on: Jul 05, 19, 10:38 AM »
Nice one.... :hat3:
Yesterday I had a new one, an actual phone call from 'BT', and when he started his script, I told him I don't use a BT line, but........he cut in and said 'Yes you do as it goes through our servers'.....so I told him 'No it doesn't, as nothing is connected to my BT line, and I am connected to my ISP via fibre optic cables from a pavement box out side my house'.
So, since he called me, and it is his phone call, I politely told him to 'F' off and go and annoy someone else.
Then he put the phone down, probably deciding that I am a hopeless case for him to scam.... ;D
Normally I get a robo-voice telling me my internet is going to get cut off in 48 hours unless I press '1' to phone them..............no way Jose..... ;D

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #12 on: Jul 05, 19, 08:39 PM »
I bet their mothers are really proud of them. If they're gangsters.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #13 on: Jul 06, 19, 10:55 AM »
Yep, they keep hassling me...........all for about 50 rupees a month.....which they give to their mothers.... :)

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #14 on: Jul 08, 19, 05:28 PM »
A lot of them seem to be recordings, now, until you push buttons and things.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #15 on: Jul 09, 19, 10:39 AM »
I learnt years ago not to push buttons, as I kept deleting the registry or something else bad..... ;D

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #16 on: Jul 09, 19, 10:54 AM »
Ah! I remember religiously using a registry cleaner, ages back, until the fucker totally screwed everything. I only ever clean it out, manually, now. Even then, only when I'm bored out of my skull.

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #17 on: Jul 09, 19, 05:48 PM »
I used to use (and still have in in storage somewhere), an XP Registry cleaner..........and it worked, without screwing things up... ;D
Mind you, I still have on disc/Ext USB drive lots of stuff for Win98, SE, ME, 2000, XP Corp Pro (thanks RSU), Vista, and of course Win 8, 7 and 10.
Plus quite a few versions of Win 10, that I bought (well, installation files and the Keys) for about 18 when it came out, and put them onto USB drives, plus one that I bought from Scan Comp's, on a USB stick.

But don't really have the patience to install some 'Home' versions, or a 'Pro' version of Win 10.

I think I tried out the update from Win 8, and then 7, but I don't think it went that well, so bought the above online from various places, to get a clean install.

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #18 on: Jul 10, 19, 11:07 AM »
Oh, I'm the same, ever since those exciting days of FDisk! I keep mine on CD/DVD, though, coz I've had phun with USB sticks borking on me. Got stuff that dear old Bill used to send me and from RSU, too, dating back to W3!

I even have an installable version of Windows Bob, which I doubt I'll ever use.

I'd used that reg cleaner for years, without any hassles. Then, one day, it screwed absolutely everything, so that went in the bin.

For fiddling with the registry, I use the free O&O editor, which is a bit better than the built-in regedit.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/ooregeditor?ver=12.0.2172

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #19 on: Jul 11, 19, 01:42 PM »
Ah F/Fisk.....a dangerous toy for me back then.....but the results eventually made me learn how to re-install Windows 98, then SE, etc., so there was a bit of sunshine in the clouds back then..
I did install the Windows 10 files on to DVD discs, and then discovered with some software how to put them on a bootable USB drive, as it was a bit quicker that way.
I think I have heard of you O&O editor, and having a quick google today, it seems to be far too dangerous in my clumsy hands, or brain cell, as they are not as 'puter savvy as yours.... ;D
I use Ashampoo WinOptimzer17 for cleaning, like the reg. cleaner, inistaller etc.,  which seems to work, in that it has not buggered every thing up.........yet.
i was useful on my lappy, since no matter what I did to make it boot to the desktop without me having to fill in the password, it just ignored my commands.
Then I found some 'tweakers' for Windows in WinOpt, options, and one to make the bloody laptop boot straight to the desktop, so it was worth the few quid I paid for the software.....when it was knocked down in price that is.... ;D

Offline Kat

• Twaddler
  • Meh
« Reply #20 on: Jul 11, 19, 04:41 PM »
Yeah, steep learning curve, back then. Windows 98 was a bit wobbly, looking back. Oddly, right until he dies, Bill stuck with it and wouldn't even dream of anything after that. He may have gone, when W7 came out. :(

I have to admit to not using ANY cleaners, now. I back up, regularly, just by simply copying files over to the backup drives. A short while back, I had to restore, from those, and it went perfectly, although it took a while.

Have you seen the WinAero site? Some useful stuff, there.

https://winaero.com

Offline Baron

• Foreskin
  • Barfly
  • Hedgecat
« Reply #21 on: Jul 12, 19, 11:07 AM »
I don't think I had Win95, but got my (first) free copy from a chap at a printers I used to deliver too, and a bit later a disc with the SE version, which I thought was an improvement.
All my OS's were 'donated' to me, until I actually bought Vista with the 32/64 bit discs, and still have it.
Yep with Win 98SE, when I got the 'It's safe to switch off your computer', which I did, and the next morning it was a 50/50 it would start up to the desktop , or, broken itself over night when 'off' and was buggered..... ;D

I do run the WinOpt 'analyzer/cleaner' about once a month, as so far it hasn't screwed things up.

I also do a back up of Win 7 and Win 10 on to separate SSD's so that I have a cloned version of them, in theory, if the main OS has got a terminal illness somehow, then I can just use Ashampoo Back up Pro/Acronis TI/AOMEI Backupper, so cone its copy back onto the buggered SSD.
I hate doing fresh installs unless I fancy starting off a 'clean' OS, and like to spend a day or two knocking it into shape...... ::)

Noted the Winaero.com web site, and yup, it needs some exploring for goodies.... :hat3: